Any value?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Any value?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any value?

Last edited by Kittysafe; October 10th, 2012 at 10:37.
    watchma and Atoning Unifex like this.

Inactive

Re: Any value?

Dunno, but I've just got to say it looks very cool

If only you could tell the time from this side
    Kittysafe likes this.

No clue but that is a cool find!
    Kittysafe likes this.
    Damasko DA36 (daily wearer)
    Casio G-Shock GW5600J-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

We don't give valuations here. Nice watch if it works though. Illinois was one of the first American makers to embrace the wristwatch. Hamilton carried on with the tradition after they bought Illinois.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; October 10th, 2012 at 14:14.
    Kittysafe likes this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

I do have to quibble with calling this a "Hamilton"

It may have been produced after the acquisition of Illinois by Hamilton, but then it may not have been as serial number/date lists for American watches are more aproximations than being 100% reliable(especially for a company like Illinois where finishing records aren't available).

Even if this was produced after the Hamilton acquisition, however, it's still not right to call it a Hamilton. Illinois continued to operate more or less autonomously for several years after the acquisition. The watch shown here-even if produced under Hamilton ownership-is an Illinois design produced by Illinois workers on Illinois machinery in Springfield-thus it's an Illinois by most any definition.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; October 10th, 2012 at 17:02. Reason: Correct incorrect wording
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

I agree with Ben. True Illinois watches were made up to 1932 even if Hamilton took over the company in 1928.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I doubt it. My Dad has a Illinois pocket watch from his great grandpa and they don't seem to be worth much. Even with Hamilton on the dial I've seen them for sale for $300.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I doubt it. My Dad has a Illinois pocket watch from his great grandpa and they don't seem to be worth much. Even with Hamilton on the dial I've seen them for sale for $300.
    As with most things in horology, it's impossible to give a "blanket" answer and say that they're not worth much.

I am an Illinois collector-it is my second interest next to Waltham. I only collect a few specific categories of Illinois watches(high grade 18 size, high grade 16 size models 4 and 5, private labels). At one time, it was stated that there were more Illinois collectors than any other brand of watches-although I don't have any real information to verify this.

Some Illinois watches are worth very little-some are rare and desirable and bring big money. If anyone doubts this, check out lots 723 and 724 from the Jones-Horan auction the weekend before last

1202_R

There is also a newer but very vibrant community of Illinois wristwatch collectors-there are some big money Illinois wristwatches, and some more common ones that don't bring all that much money.
    portauto likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Very nice (I think) 12S thin grade 525 model from 1923. Has some good features such as a motor barrel and 17 jewels. But you're right, not a lot of interest in these non RR grade businessman's watches and that is reflected in the price you can get for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    As with most things in horology, it's impossible to give a "blanket" answer and say that they're not worth much.

I am an Illinois collector-it is my second interest next to Waltham. I only collect a few specific categories of Illinois watches(high grade 18 size, high grade 16 size models 4 and 5, private labels). At one time, it was stated that there were more Illinois collectors than any other brand of watches-although I don't have any real information to verify this.

Some Illinois watches are worth very little-some are rare and desirable and bring big money. If anyone doubts this, check out lots 723 and 724 from the Jones-Horan auction the weekend before last

1202_R

There is also a newer but very vibrant community of Illinois wristwatch collectors-there are some big money Illinois wristwatches, and some more common ones that don't bring all that much money.
    Thanks for the link Ben, some very cool watches!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information