WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Any watch R & D (research and development) in the U.S.?

281 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cvera 
#1 ·
I was reading a good amount of Omega history, specifically 1960s/1970s and they spent a good amount of time working on the research and development of Quartz for their watches.

Are there any companies in the US that do stuff like this?

Does anyone on this site know of an employee that is actually doing the research on the effects of magnetic a fields on watch movements and etc?

I ask because someone has to be filling in these data sheets and I haven't come across someone like this on the site yet.

It'd be nice to hear some technical reasons as to why things affect our watch and how to prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 · (Edited)
AT&T Bell Labs did back in 1927 and 1928

In 1927, Canadian-born telecommunications engineer Warren Marrison used piezoelectricity to develop a reliable frequency standard for Bell Labs. His large clock was much more accurate than existing mechanical clocks. It kept time using the regular vibrations of quartz crystals in an electrical circuit.

Quartz Watches for Men and Women | Swiss Quartz Watches

Bell Labs, the historic birthplace of world-changing innovations, is being taken over by Nokia - Quartz

Quartz Watch - Engineering and Technology History Wiki

Watches can be adversely affected by magnetism and may gain or lose time. It is important not to leave a watch close to magnetic objects for a long periods. In particular, cell phones, television and PC speakers, magnetic necklaces, handbag clasps, hair-driers, electric razors, magnetic parts of refrigerators are all magnetic. Since an affected watch remains magnetically charged even after being removed from the magnetic source, contact the nearest Authorized Seiko Service Center to have the watch demagnetized.

Analogue Quartz:
Analog quartz watches utilize the power of magnetic force in order to drive the step motors to move the rotors. These step motors are extremely small and may easily be affected by magnetism, which may impact the rotor. As a result, watches may stop or fail to keep correct time.

Spring Drive:
Magnetism affects the parts inside the movement, and may cause failure to keep correct time.

Mechanical:
A mechanical watch affected by magnetism remains magnetically charged even after being removed from the magnetic source. This may cause a gain or loss of time. A watch can remain magnetically charged for a long period so it is recommended that you demagnetize it in order to improve accuracy.

Digital Quartz:
In general, magnetism has no effect since there are no motors in digital watches.

#3 ·
1928 was a long time ago, surely there must be something people are developing.

I understand the concept of something being magnetized. I wish it would be more quantitative versus qualitative when they warn what to stay away from.

Like who here knows approximately how many gauss we encounter when we are next to a wall outlet(that emits a magnetic field).

Ill do some research and if I figure it out I'll report back.

If someone else already has some technical knowledge, please enlighten. It's a very interesting topic and it's nice to know how to take the best precautions to take care of your watch, opposed to a "you should be fine if it's in a vault under a faraday cage all day"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.