Any of you have or ever had weird watch habits?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Any of you have or ever had weird watch habits?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    var

Any of you have or ever had weird watch habits?

This happened about 5 years ago. I happened to bump my very first watch against a wall. Since then, I've been afraid of damaging my watch that I began wearing it with the dial in front of my wrist and facing wherever my palm faces.

And there's more, because of the discomfort the watch gave me whenever I tried to read the time. I also adjusted my time 3 hours fast. The idea behind that 3 was now supposed to read 12. So yeah... while walking, I used to read time with my fist pointing towards the sky.

Now I'm kinda hoping a lot of you can give and share with me even weirder ideas.
    Kain, inom, tulog.

Re: Any of you have or ever had weird watch habits?

Plenty! Here's but a smattering...

* ALWAYS looking at watches: on people, in shops, in magazines, etc., etc., etc.
    * Looking at my own watch, but not to tell the time
    * Storing and handling my watches in such a way that the bracelet NEVER touches the case-back (to leave abrasion damage)
    * Frequently wiping the glass clean
    * These are all fairly typical behaviours (I've learnt from WUS), but perhaps my weirdest is my penchant for massive watches that are too big for me! And I don't have the bracelet sized, because I can't stand the thought of having 'bits' removed from my watch. Now that's weird!
    var and curious cheese like this.

You mean apart form spending stupid amount of money and owning lot's of them? Most people seem to think that's weird enough

I quite like the three hours fast and read it with your arm vertical idea. That appeals to me. It's a bit like a nurse watch.
    var likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It seems like the watch would have to be set 3 hours and 15 minutes. But then the hour hand would always be just a little bit off.
    var likes this.
    ShockMister

Quote Originally Posted by var View Post
    This happened about 5 years ago. I happened to bump my very first watch against a wall. Since then, I've been afraid of damaging my watch that I began wearing it with the dial in front of my wrist and facing wherever my palm faces.

And there's more, because of the discomfort the watch gave me whenever I tried to read the time. I also adjusted my time 3 hours fast. The idea behind that 3 was now supposed to read 12. So yeah... while walking, I used to read time with my fist pointing towards the sky.

Now I'm kinda hoping a lot of you can give and share with me even weirder ideas.
    I move my watch around a lot so mine see quite a bit of time on the other side of my wrist. I don't think that's all that unusual. Your three hours fast though, that's a good one. The mention of the difficulty you have reading the time made me think of this picture of one of Eric Ripert's VC's:

Name:  IMG_1875.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  115.3 KB

( image from Cellar Dweller | Life + Times )

I guess that one is shifted pi/4 instead of pi/2, but it's still pretty nifty! I wish I could afford these types of solutions to all of my watch related problems.
    var likes this.
    wearing some dumbwatch that goes tick-tick-tick-tick-tick

I always figured a watch worn with the face on the palm side of your wrist would accumulate MORE damage because it's smacking into your body, bag, or the surface of your desk all day every day.
    var likes this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

var

Quote Originally Posted by redkelpie View Post
    * Storing and handling my watches in such a way that the bracelet NEVER touches the case-back (to leave abrasion damage)
    So that's where those scratches came from!!! Grr.

Well, I guess I should search the forums for more useful tips next.

Quote Originally Posted by redkelpie View Post
    my penchant for massive watches that are too big for me! And I don't have the bracelet sized, because I can't stand the thought of having 'bits' removed from my watch. Now that's weird!
    Indeed, it is. I feel that it's just like how I try to tell my computer that everything's going to be okay when installing new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by cptbluebear View Post
    You mean apart form spending stupid amount of money and owning lot's of them? Most people seem to think that's weird enough

I quite like the three hours fast and read it with your arm vertical idea. That appeals to me. It's a bit like a nurse watch.
    Problem is, you won't want anyone looking at your watch when they ask for the time or else the person will get all confused and this happens when you try to explain your watch to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    It seems like the watch would have to be set 3 hours and 15 minutes. But then the hour hand would always be just a little bit off.
    Sorry about that, but yes, you are correct. It would need to be 3 hours and 15 minutes fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    I always figured a watch worn with the face on the palm side of your wrist would accumulate MORE damage because it's smacking into your body, bag, or the surface of your desk all day every day.
    Hehehe. I was still at college then. I never had a bag. As for banging against things... Well, my hands are under my desk most of the time hanging on my side. When I wear a watch with the face opposite my palm, the case always ends up banging against the edge of my desk when I try to position my hand above my desk.
    Last edited by var; December 5th, 2011 at 12:11.
    Kain, inom, tulog.

yeah, 1 of them is......for fear of stripping a screw-down crown, when I fell like setting the time on said auto, I look at the time that the watch is stopped at, and set when that time is coming around next on actual time, and then set an alarm on cell to a minute prior of that time......then I start shaking the watch when the alarm goes off.

Or maybe a wear a digital quartz most of the time, for fear of damage to my mechanicals...
    var likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by var View Post
    Hehehe. I was still at college then. I never had a bag. As for banging against things... Well, my hands are under my desk most of the time hanging on my side. When I wear a watch with the face opposite my palm, the case always ends up banging against the edge of my desk when I try to position my hand above my desk.
    If you didn't have to carry books and didn't have to do anything using the surface of your desk I'm pretty sure you were doing college wrong somehow...
    Addictedtowatches and var like this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

I go out with my watch on and after a few hours ask the missis what time it is. Because I have not worn it for a few days the reserve has run out.

My other habit is shackin my wrist in the air randomly to wind the mechanism.
    var likes this.
    Breitling Navitimer A23322 Blue dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information