Anybody have any good resources for Seiko vintage digital repair?

Thread: Anybody have any good resources for Seiko vintage digital repair?

Anybody have any good resources for Seiko vintage digital repair?

I am trying to find an outfit in the US that can restore my father's vintage Seiko Sport 100 digital/analog watch... I believe it's from the late 70's to early 80's, the square case/square crystal version- that's not it in the pic below, but it looks very similar. It has a ton of sentimental value for him, and I'd love to see it up and running again.

I sent it to Seiko USA, but they returned it saying they did not have the parts for it anymore... Which I found strange, considering they made numerous models utilizing this case and similar parts, and watches of this age probably make up a good portion of those sent in for restoration... It's not like many 10 year old watches need complete overhauls. Weird. Anyway, I've seen quite a few threads concerning restorations of Seikos around this age, so I know somebody does it, even if Seiko doesn't.

Mechanically, the watch is no longer working. Water damage may be an issue, so a whole new movement may be required. Aesthetically, the crystal, case and bracelet are very scratched, and the dial needs repainting/luming.

Anybody have any leads for a place that specializes in this sort of thing? All help greatly appreciated.

(Mods, please don't move this- I posted something similar months ago in the Seiko forum, and despite several bumps got literaly zero replies... I think that pool is just too small for this specific question)

Re: Anybody have any good resources for Seiko vintage digital repair?

First off, I have to ask the obvious - did you try a new battery and clean the contacts and remove any corrosion? After doing all that does either the analog or digital display show any activity?

After trying all that and it's truly dead I think you are faced with finding a donor watch and salvaging a working movement. There are several guys that specialize in Seiko watches, but understandably many of them won't touch older dead quartz watches. That said you might contact Jack at IWW in North Carolina. That's a nice looking watch - hope you are able to bring it back to life.

Given the number of mid-priced watches that Seiko has made and discontinued over the years I would be surprised to find that they had a replacement movement.
    Last edited by John MS; December 2nd, 2010 at 14:42.

Thread Information