Anyone else a bit 'over' autos?
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Anyone else a bit 'over' autos?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Somewhat in response to the 'auto snob' thread in the affordable subforum (where the OP found himself negatively judging people that DIDN'T wear autos), I'm curious to know how many of us feel a bit the other way - a bit ANTI auto?!

The longer I've been into watches, the more obvious it has become that the majority of nice quality watches in the price range I can afford to play in are just the same old same old mass-produced auto movements, being churned out in their millions by one or two huge corporations. If you own one, you own them all, barring some interesting work in the case or dial.

At one point I just HAD to own a 7750 chrono. Had to. Wasn't a proper watch guy unless I had one. Bought one. Lost interest in it. Bought another. Soon realised they are so ubiquitous they are almost a dime a dozen. So many 'me too' watches with exactly the same engine, same geometry, same handling, just some superficial variations here and there in what felt like a cynical attempt to repackage the same old product to try and get at my money.

I have no interest in playing some kind of pokemon gotta-catch-all-the-calibers. I probably can't afford anything genuinely interesting anyway - except maybe spring drive - so it's not about the movements for me, it's about the design and execution of the watch. When I see a model I really like I don't much care which movement they put in it (as long as the quality is good and I can afford it) but I almost award extra points now for hand wound or quartz.

Most of my watch collection -a few thousand dollars worth - sits in a drawer these days. My daily beater is a Seiko kinetic diver, and I have a dressier German deck watch based on a unitas, which is pretty damn humble as far as movements go but it ticks the 'marvellous mechanical magical historical little machine' box and I enjoy wearing it. Those two watches get nearly all of my wrist time. I still look at a lot of watches, read these forums, I still enjoy the 'hobby', but these days very few actually drive me to consider buying them. Especially autos.

Am I alone or do others see the emperor naked too?

(oh and if you stop hearing from me you'll know the swiss mafia got to me with a nicely polished hammer).

Re: Anyone else a bit 'over' autos?

You may have just bought into boring typical forum sport watches? Solid nice watches, but not too different, and nothing flamboyant?

IMHO in the $1000-3000 range, a lot of "safe" boring stuff to collect. I feel this range is great for vintage, or against the forum norms and go flamboyant.
    Core Collection:
    BlancpaiN Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe ceramic, H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020Ė54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

It's just a 'thing', it's there or not there - it certainly isn't something I care about in the way quartz/mechanical is. I wear my watches purely at random, whatever I feel like at the time. As such some of them haven't even been wound this year, half the quartz are flat, and they get worn typically for 1-2 days at a time maximum. If that's your use pattern, auto is just a thing that makes a watch thicker..

I wouldn't even consider buying an 'auto only' watch - I'm still skeptical that these even exist, but maybe I'm just not able to afford something so deeply inconvenient. Why would a company even make a watch you can't wind? I do own one watch where the web page and manual suggested there was no way to wind the watch and guess what? Unscrew the crown without pulling it out to any of the adjustment positions, and sure enough you can wind it. I bought it because it looked really cool though, that's what matters.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Try owning a hand-wound watch. They'll change your perspective.

Instagram: @open_escapement

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    Try owning a hand-wound watch. They'll change your perspective.

Instagram: @open_escapement
    Try reading the whole post. He does own one (Unitas deck watch).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Voyager57, jsohal and il Pirati like this.

I feel the OPís pain. At the end of the day this is fundamentally a silly, absurd hobby with little to no practicality (aside from becoming a more discerning / weaponized snob).

Paying extra for watches that keep worse time, are more fragile, and need costly servicing? Itís ludicrous. No oneís grandfather would approve (thatís my usual
    litmus test).

You donít see Porsche trying to make new silicon and carbon fiber based anti magnetic carburetors... they just use fuel injection, itís better on every level.

But here we are. You can either make peace with the absurdity or be endlessly bedeviled by it. Nobody is making us care about this stuff (virtually no one else gives half a hoot).

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I like automatics (watches, not transmissions - yeck). But I also never really put too much stock in them either. They're cool because they use movement, and physics to accurate track time. And in an era where everything is computerized, it's cool to see it work. But they aren't that special. There's nothing purer about them than there is about a quartz watch. Or a smart watch. Or a manual winding watch. Just another way to tell time. I have predominantly mechanical automatic watches, because the watches I like - vintage themed diving watches seem to come that way.

So I guess I'm not over them because I was never particularly fixated on them to begin with?
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

There's some quartz watches I wouldn't mind owning. Same thing with some mechanical watches. *shrug* Not over autos just yet, I guess.
    Dan T. likes this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Yes and no.

I do like quartz but I don't compare them to my auto/mechanical watches.

I would like to own a high end quartz someday like the Omega Z33 Spacemaster.

I am also interested in Citizens new Caliber 0100 that delivers the world’s most precise time-keeping accuracy of within Ī1 second per year.
    Last edited by Medusa; August 1st, 2019 at 04:03.

Quartz has a bad reputation because their movements are in so many low-end, low-cost, mass-produce pieces. But on an electrical engineering standpoint, it's pretty cool in itself.
    Cartier Santos
    Damasko DA36
    Omega Speedmaster 145.022
    Rolex 1016 (build), Rolex Date 1500, Datejust 1630, Explorer II 16570, Submariner 16800

Seiko 6138 Jumbo, SKX009
    Tag Heuer Professional 1000

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information