Anyone else not much into Divers/Sport watches?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone else not much into Divers/Sport watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anyone else not much into Divers/Sport watches?

Now before everyone starts to jump me, I know many of the posters here have them and love them, and they do look great don't get me wrong, but I personally prefer a simpler look.
    Firstly, the rolex subs/gmt etc would actually be too big on me with my 6.25" wrist. Secondly, I would prefer the clean Dial of an Air King or an Explorer any day.

I know many guys love the sport type watches, so I am really curious; I can't be the only one who doesn't love the divers or sport watches..

Re: Anyone else not much into Divers/Sport watches?

Quote Originally Posted by righton View Post
    Now before everyone starts to jump me, I know many of the posters here have them and love them, and they do look great don't get me wrong, but I personally prefer a simpler look.
    Firstly, the rolex subs/gmt etc would actually be too big on me with my 6.25" wrist. Secondly, I would prefer the clean Dial of an Air King or an Explorer any day.

I know many guys love the sport type watches, so I am really curious; I can't be the only one who doesn't love the divers or sport watches..
    I like variety, which includes simple on a strap to sports watches such as GMTs and divers. However I think the perfect watch (especially if a daily wearer) would be simple yet durable on a bracelet such as the Air King or Explorer as you suggested.

Out of the millions of people shopping for watches in the world you can probably deduce that a fair few of them don't like sports watches or diving watches. The vast number of product offerings for watches outside of these two categories should attest to the fact that not everyone likes those style of watches.

Is this thread meant to be a support group of sorts for those individuals who actively don't like a certain style of watch? I can't imagine the commentary of such a discussion being very productive. A more productive topic might be a discussion around watch styles you do actually like. It seems to make more sense to define your taste by the positives (ie what you do happen to like) versus the negatives.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I long preferred almost anything to a diver. Then, at a high school football game back in October, the skies opened up and the rain poured down for nearly two hours. I think I spent more time fussing about my watch than watching what was happening on the field. Kinda made me rethink my views.

Enter my first diver, the Oris Aquis. It was intended as a "wet day" watch, but it's quickly become one of my favorite "all-a-rounders".

So while I used to not be much into them, I'm now finding myself into them very much.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by righton View Post

Depending on how long you've been into watches (low post count isn't always an indicator) you may find tastes change.

I'm like you, I prefer simple, time-only 3 handers (though slightly sporty rather than dresy), however my last 2 purchases were a diver and a chronograph.

When I first got into watches, I didn't like divers or sporty watches at all. Over time they started to grow on me, and now I own several. I'll still always prefer a more streamlined and elegant look, but I've definitely developed a place in my heart for sporty, chunkier watches.

And I suspect a Rolex Sub or GMT-Master would look fine on your 6.25" wrist. They're "only" 40mm, which is small by the standards of modern sporty watches, and they wear even smaller because of the bezel. I think they look just fine on my 6.75" wrists, and I don't see a 0.5" difference being a dealbreaker.

I think I know where you're coming from. You don't hate the sports watches, they just don't do much for you. Just like (fill in the blank kind of watches) don't do much for other folks. But they're so popular it seems a little weird feeling that way. I feel a little that way. I've a sub I wear occasionally (and that I like a lot), but I don't wear it nearly as much as I do a simple three hander.

But what Zeroedout writes is, for me, to the point. If the skies open up, I want to be wearing the sub, and when I'm heading for outdoor stuff I'm wearing the sub. For me, it's not what I feel most comfortable with as a daily wearer, but everyone--well most folks--are different and what's comfortable doesn't really have to be what's comfortable for everybody else.

Aren't the Rolex Air King and Explorer sports watches? If you said you liked the Patek Calatrava, Vacheron Patrimony, Rolex Cellini, or Nomos Tangente, then I would at least understand where you're coming from.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Registered to this forum and began collecting. My first posts asking for suggrstions usually had the "not interested on diver watches." Next thing I know, had 4 consecutive purchases, all of them being divers. :D Still cant go over the Monster look though, at least for the Orange one. That ice one or the dracula one is creeping though.
    "One does not dress to impress girls. One impresses girls by the way they dress." - Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Aren't the Rolex Air King and Explorer sports watches? If you said you liked the Patek Calatrava, Vacheron Patrimony, Rolex Cellini, or Nomos Tangente, then I would at least understand where you're coming from.
    They're absolutely sports watches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information