Anyone familiar with the Eterna Airforce III? Good alternative to Sinn 103 / Breguet Type XX?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GlennO

Thread: Anyone familiar with the Eterna Airforce III? Good alternative to Sinn 103 / Breguet Type XX?

Anyone familiar with the Eterna Airforce III? Good alternative to Sinn 103 / Breguet Type XX?

New to the forum (and in fact, watches), and grew an instant attraction/fascination with the Type XX look from the 50s. But with the Breguet far out of my price range, I began looking for alternatives. The Sinn 103 was the obvious stand-out. I have to say, it's gorgeous and I love it. But before I pull the trigger, I just want to be certain there aren't better value alternatives out there.

Now, during my research, I discovered the Eterna Airforce III Chronograph. It has the same Type XX style dial but with a stainless steel, brushed bezel. Anyone familiar with this model? Is Eterna on the same level as Sinn as a brand? It looks quite handsome and can be had for under the $1k mark.

If one can have the Eterna in excellent/mint condition for $900, would anyone take that over a similarly condition Sinn 103 for $1500?

Thanks for your help! (sry no pics as I'm typing all this outdoors on the phone)

Re: Anyone familiar with the Eterna Airforce III? Good alternative to Sinn 103 / Breguet Type XX?

Name:  k4dxt3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  67.5 KB

Re: Anyone familiar with the Eterna Airforce III? Good alternative to Sinn 103 / Breguet Type XX?

Same movement, a matter of preference really, but those Eterna's must be about 20 years old? I think I'd prefer a more recent 103. The build quality might be a bit better including the bracelet. Another watch with a similar aesthetic is the Revue Thommen Airspeed Chrono in stainless steel or titanium. It's also discontinued but I still see the occasional near new or even NOS example.

Name:  DSC00573.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  67.3 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a Breguet Type XX by the way:
    Name:  1f79tf.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  392.0 KB
    Last edited by mrandersen10; May 14th, 2018 at 19:53.

Sinn probably makes the best Type XX type watches today for a reasonable price:

Sinn 104
    Name:  906qlh.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  104.0 KB

Sinn 103
    Name:  qquzwl.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  660.9 KB

I like the Longines BigEye, as it has the correct subdial configuration, although it lacks the bezel.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Thread Information