Anyone have any insights into the Indian redial/refurbish cottage industry?

Thread: Anyone have any insights into the Indian redial/refurbish cottage industry?

I think most of you have seen them on the famous auction site. The 50s and 60 Favre Leuba, Omega, Eterna redialed to garish colors and wrong fonts. I realize watchmaking labor can be sourced cheaper in India so is it just a couple of people buying up old watches domestically and then cheaply refurbishing them for international sale? Or is a larger industry than that?

On a personal note, I absolutely hate seeing some of these old gems molested like that. But I figure many were in pretty sad state anyway from tropical climate usage and poor maintenance. (Incidentally, no offense intended to any of my fellow WIS in India as I am sure they feel likewise).
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

Re: Anyone have any insights into the Indian redial/refurbish cottage industry?

This doesn't really answer your question but provides some reasons as to why some of these brands are so commonly refurbished in India:

Hi All,
    Re: How come all FAVRE LEUBA watches seem to be in India?

The reasons are,

1. During British times there were very few watch brands available in India. Favre Leuba was one of them and the most popular one. The wrist watch segment was available in India till late 70’s. As well, it is the most popular watch in India even today. In fact the Favre Leuba manufacturing company at Switzerland has been taken over by an Indian watch manufacturer TATA, in 2011.
    2. From 1940 till late 80’s the Favre Leuba had a Russian counterpart. Those watches were only available in India. Those watches said to be the duplicate Favre Leuba, as they were Russian made. Only the balance/movement used to be Swiss Made. The Russian company was nothing but the out sourcing of the Swiss company. Though, the people in India had the impact of Swiss product, they appreciated the Russian product as well.
    3. After 1975, the Swiss company and the Russian company started assembling the watches instead of manufacturing them entirely. Most of the parts used to be Asian made, at this time. That stared the downfall of Favre Leuba in India.
    4. The Sea King and Sea Chef are the two models which are still available in India. I have got 10 Favre Leubas. The eldest one is 1930 made.
    5. For your information, except Favre Leuba there were three other brand available in India during British era.

Favre Leuba
    Camy
    Henri Sandoz & Fil
    West End (Only pocket watches)

Thanks and take care.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/how...ml#post5103477
    Last edited by Citizen V; December 28th, 2012 at 19:32.

Thanks! I have been to India and noticed Favre Leuba has more presence there than anywhere else I have been in the world. Also Omega is very well respected and this is hugely bolstered by the Bond association (always popular in Anglophilic India) and the presence of Omega boutiques in major cities like Mumbai.
    Last edited by akit110; December 29th, 2012 at 02:00.
    Now: Rolex Explorer II ref. 1655, ca. 1971, Rolex Milgauss (black) ca. 2008, IWC GST Aquatimer (titanium) ref. 3536, ca. 1999, Omega dress watch (601 movement, 1960s, bought in 1966)
    Gone baby gone: Rolex Submariner ref. 5512, Rolex Submariner ref. 5513, Rolex GMT Master, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Air King (1st 'nice' watch), Hamilton Tank (10K vintage), IWC Mark XII ca. 1998,
    IWC Compass Watch ca. 1980 ref. 3510, JLC Memovox (ca. 1965), Omega Moonwatch (30th anniversary), Omega Seamaster (552 movement, 1960s), Omega Seamaster Multifunction, Seiko Marinemaster 300m ref SBDX001 (2007), UTS 500m (platinum dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Anyone have any insights into the Indian redial/refurbish cottage industry?

Indian garish re-finished Favere-Lueba/Henri Sandoz/Fortis/Eterna watches are almost as ubiquitous on the bay as Ukranian Doxa and Omega pocket watch conversions, and both are probably best avoided is you want something that is 'authentic'.

Thread Information