WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Anyone know about this RED DYE?

251 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ffritz 
#1 ·
Hi,

This has been driving me crazy. Maybe I am crazy to begin with though... I want to buy a mechanical movement to assemble in my own custom watch. Partly because it would be unique, and also because I think it will be cheaper. I can pick up an ETA 2824-2 TOP grade for $400 US!

Anyways, say I want to die the engraving text "TWENTY-FIVE 25 JEWELS SWISS MADE" in red or blue, to make it stand out against a silver rotor. What kind of application tool/dye do I need?

I got this idea from the wonderful guys over at Patek Phillipe:

Take a look so you know what I'm talking about! Seems like he just lathers it on, and possibly wipes the excess before hanging up to dry.

Thanks,
Sean

#2 ·
Building a custom watch isn't too crazy per se, but it all depends on what you want to machine yourself, which parts you buy, and how much experience you have as a watchmaker.

For coloring the rotor engravings, I would try nail polish. I've read numerous posts of people who did this on engraved steel diver's bezels, and thanks to nail polish remover it's a reversible process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.