Anyone know this design?

Thread: Anyone know this design?

Question Anyone know this design?

Name:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Brighton Case Co.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  264.3 KBName:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Jefferson Case Co - my watch.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  200.7 KBName:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Philadelphia Case Co.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  109.6 KB

My grandfather's watch was a 1910 Elgin, Model 7, 7 jewel, open face, SN 15748228, grade 291, size 16s, class 110, with a gold filled case by Jefferson Case Co (middle photo above). It has an unusual design on the back of the case and I'm not entirely sure which way is up. However, I did find 2 watches on-line which have the same design. One was made by the Brighton Case Co and the other by the Philadelphia Case Co. (first and third photos above).

Has anyone ever seen this design before? Do you know which side is up? How is it that 3 different case companies have the same unusual design? Or were these 3 companies once the same? Anyone know who may have created this design?

I would also like to have my grandfather's name engraved in it if I knew which way the initials should go. Is there a reliable engraver who can use the same font that would be consistent with a 1910 watch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Anyone know this design?

It's called a cartouche and it's oriented to that 12 on the dial corresponds to the top.
    Current Collection:
    Rotary, Adina, Emporio Armani, Loyal, Swatch, Ingersoll, Cyma and others...

The Wanted List:
    Citizen NB0030-01A

Realistically Achievable Grails:
    Breguet 5817 Marine Big Date
    Grand Seiko STGR003

Holy Grails:
    Breguet 5617 Perpetual Calendar Chronograph

The cartouche on the 3 examples are aligned so that when you turn the watch facing the back, holding the stem as shown will give the correct alignment. There are 2 small elements that appear as upside-down v '^' that are the bottom element in the cartouche.

John
    Does anyone really know what time it is?

If you don't know where you're going; every road will get you there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Philadelphia Case Co a.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  90.7 KBName:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Philadelphia Case Co b.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  80.2 KBName:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Philadelphia Case Co c.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  69.7 KBName:  Guilloche pattern and free monogram shield - by Philadelphia Case Co d.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  67.2 KB

I have to be sure how to orient the cartouche (or monogram shield) before I have someone engrave initials into it. Are any of the above aligned correctly so that the top of the cartouche is at the top of the photo?

Thread Information