Anyone know how to get the case back off this watch?

Thread: Anyone know how to get the case back off this watch?

Anyone know how to get the case back off this watch?

So many many moons ago long before I was a collector my girlfriend(now wife) bought this Gucci 2000M watch for me...and I bought her the ladies version.(I know...how cute but what can I say...we were 18 and it was 1988). I wore the HECK out of this watch for a good 2-3 years and had the battery changed several times by Macy's watch department but it's been a good 5 years since the current battery died. I remember always hearing that you needed a "special tool" to change these batteries but never actually saw it done because they always took it in the back. Now that I take care of all battery changes myself for my quartz watches I want to do this one as well but I can't figure out how to get the case back off. I've looked closely and don't see any type of indentation that would allow for a small tool to go into and I can't tell if it's a screw back type either. Does anyone know how to get this case back off? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

-Shawn

Re: Anyone know how to get the case back off this watch?

I need to change a battery on one of those watches and it had me stumped too. The first two jewellers I visited said they couldn't do it, the third one did it - as you say - 'in the back'. I took the view that if jewellers were turning it down it probably wouldn't stand up well to my ham-fisted efforts!
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Inactive

I'd hazard a guess the caseback is a snap down due to the emblem/logo on the back

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is a somewhat difficult removal. Insert a proper size screwdriver under one of the lugs and pry up.

Insert a thin sharp knife under the lug then twist upward if its a snapback.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys...will get it a try and let you know how I do. Would definitely not have thought to try under the lug.

Shawn

If you look at your photos, there appears to be a line splitting the band of gold above the crown, which looks like a seam, so the question is where best to apply pressure to separate those two parts.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I usually use a razor blade to get it started and then a sharp watch opener will do the rest against the lugs. My watch guy once told me the inner black part of the caseback is made of glass/ceramic so be careful snapping it back.

I had a model like yours laying around so here's a picture of the caseback off so you'll have an idea of where to look for the caseback seam.

Best of luck!

Name:  Gucci Case Opened.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  114.9 KB
    Last edited by everestx; January 1st, 2013 at 05:00.

Quote Originally Posted by everestx View Post
    I usually use a razor blade to get it started and then a sharp watch opener will do the rest against the lugs. My watch guy once told me the inner black part of the caseback is made of glass/ceramic so be careful snapping it back.

I had a model like yours laying around so here's a picture of the caseback off so you'll have an idea of where to look for the caseback seam.

Best of luck!

Name:  Gucci Case Opened.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  114.9 KB

THANK YOU for this picture...that's a huge help. I tried the ideas above and couldn't really get anything to happen. Being able to actually see where it separates is a BIG help...will try again and let you know how it goes. Thanks again sir.

Shawn

I got it! Thanks so much for the pic...I was able to see where someone in the past had levered in near the crown and gently work one of my flat blades into it. A little firm tapping with my hammer and it popped right off. I have Little David caseback tool for when put it back on so I'll make sure I'm slow and sure with that so as not to damage the backing. Thanks again guys...I LOVE this forum!

-Shawn

Thread Information