Anyone that knows what ADMES is?

Thread: Anyone that knows what ADMES is?

Anyone that knows what ADMES is?

Hi people!

Got his swiss-made mechanical watch from my grandmother the other day and she said it belonged to my grandfather. It is made by a company called ADMES - Geneve and contains an incabloc, is made of stainless steel (with gold top) and is also said to be "waterproof". I changed the bracelet but kept the original (of course) for future use.

I'll post three pictures of it (the wear and tear is soooo cool) hoping someone could tell me something about the company ADMES (are they still around) or if someone else here owns an ADMES watch.

Cheers!

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 1605
Size:  91.9 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1621
Size:  87.9 KB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 1598
Size:  88.8 KB
    Last edited by Daniel Skorpan Sjöstrand; January 30th, 2012 at 15:13. Reason: spelling fail

Re: Anyone that knows what ADMES is?

Pretty obscure brand. Admes was registered in 1938 in Switzerland. I don't think they are still active, but you see the odd one on eBay as a vintage item. This one looks to be from the 1950s.
    Replacing the crystal would make a big difference in appearance I think. The watch should be serviced if you plan to wear it, so get the crystal changed at that time. It'll be worth it if it was your grandfather's watch.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thank you for your reply!

Interesting to learn about them being registered in 1938. You are correct about the age to. My grandmother recalls buying an Omega for him in 1948 and that he stopped using that watch when he received this in the mid late 50's. Apparently he was working at Volvo in Gothenburg at the time and some of those involved in building a special-edition-car (for some royalty or other famous person) received a watch as a gift.

Being a mechanic my grandfathers watches took a lot of beating, thus explaining the condition of the watch. I will have it serviced (though it is working great and keeps great time) but I am unsure if I want it to be esthetically changed or not. It looks the way it does due to the way my grandfather worked and lived. Changing that would take that away, making it far less valuable to me. Also the watch will never be sold (partly since I'm guessing its value to be just a few cents) and mostly since it has some family history, so the appearance is not that important. Also, i really like the patina of it!

Oh, I should say that I asked my grandmother about the 1948 Omega, wondering what happened to it. She said it has been kept in a drawer in the kitchen (!) since God knows how long and that she has seen i daily. However, a couple of months ago she threw it out, thinking no one would ever want an old watch like that (that she bought in 1948). She also said it was painful to se the watch everyday since she was missing my grandfather so much. Afterwards she kind of regretted it and went looking for his other watch (the ADEMS). She then gave it to me. I did not have the heart to tell here that an Omega can be pretty valuable and that I REALLY would have liked to have it (especially since it belonged to my grandfather). But at least I got the ADMES.

There you go, a watch-story as good as any. Any additional information on ADEMS is always appreciated.

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Changing a crystal is a common thing to do but it's your watch. I am not suggesting you do anything about the dial which looks fine to me. If the crystal is acrylic it can also be polished to improve the readability of the dial.
    However given that you'll receive no more watches from your grandfather it is very important that you get the watch cleaned and lubricated. These types of watches can run very well but at the same time destroy themselves because they are running dry. If you want this watch to be passed on to your own grandchildren someday take care of it now. A 55 year old watch will need service. Trust me - I have many watches of that age and older.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I have now booked a time for having the watch serviced (200 euros, pricy but worth it). You kind of scared me with the "running dry"-talk. Good, I needed that. I really want the watch to stay in the family. Thank's!

Thread Information