Anyone notice the Watch Snob getting soft?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Anyone notice the Watch Snob getting soft?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anyone notice the Watch Snob getting soft?

I had read his articles months ago and found them entertaining, but lately when I checked his latest articles, it seems that the WS has gotten soft. Cannot tell if it is a different writer or if they simply told him to tone it down a bit. Shame, I rather liked his tone in the past, this new WS is too soft for me.

Re: Anyone notice the Watch Snob getting soft?

What's the soft thing he said now? Maybe he got back to reality after he realized he's no match to Archie Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by monza06 View Post
    What's the soft thing he said now? Maybe he got back to reality after he realized he's no match to Archie Luxury
    Nothing in particular, definitely less offensive and witty, it seems.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuk View Post
    Nothing in particular, definitely less offensive and witty, it seems.
    Offensive and witty are not synonymous with one another. The Watch Snob is an obnoxious poseur. I'll concede that he knows a lot about watches, but I'll also state that he doesn't have to be as condescending and disrespectful in his approach as he is. He would never have the temerity to behave that way in person. Internet anonymity provides him with a large dose of inauthentic courage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefalope View Post
    Offensive and witty are not synonymous with one another. The Watch Snob is an obnoxious poseur. I'll concede that he knows a lot about watches, but I'll also state that he doesn't have to be as condescending and disrespectful in his approach as he is. He would never have the temerity to behave that way in person. Internet anonymity provides him with a large dose of inauthentic courage.
    Then you would like the new WS! I, for one, found his former and more abrasive personality more entertaining.
    KyleT, shnjb and Watchnut12 like this.

"Condescending" fits the persona. He's the "Watch Snob", not the "Watch Advisor."

And if he is a poseur, it would be because he doesn't know a lot about watches. If he really is an expert, he can't be posing as an expert. Your beef is with his style, which is like hating Don Rickles because he insulted people in his comedy routine. It's okay not to like it, but be clear about why you don't like it.

A willing suspension of disbelief is highly recommended when reading this sort of thing.

And, yes, he's been uneven in his harshness.

That said, I'm reminded of a story told by the late William F. Buckley, where a reader complained that his vocabulary was too esoteric. His advice was to keep reading. A year later, the reader thanked him for toning it down. Of course, Buckley had made no changes.

Maybe we are just getting used to the Watch Snob. Maybe he is no longer biased against less expensive models as much as he was, and is thus living up to his claim of being interested in their horology and not just their price. Maybe AskMen's advertisers complained.

Rick "who enjoys the columns but absolutely does not take them seriously" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuk View Post
    Then you would like the new WS! I, for one, found his former and more abrasive personality more entertaining.
    Some of his haughty commentary is entertaining, only because like him, the people to whom s/he's responding are anonymous and I cannot imagine anyone, regardless of their background, actually thinking so lowly of other folks and their choices. Graciousness is a common trait among the social elite, so I am quite sure that all of the WS' seemingly rude commentary is meant entirely in jest and merely is in keeping with the theme given by the writer's nom de plume.

All the best.
    Starbuk likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Wink Re: Anyone notice the Watch Snob getting soft?

He is the Jeremy Clarkson of watches.

he is meant to be entertaining.
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    "Condescending" fits the persona. He's the "Watch Snob", not the "Watch Advisor."

And if he is a poseur, it would be because he doesn't know a lot about watches. If he really is an expert, he can't be posing as an expert. Your beef is with his style, which is like hating Don Rickles because he insulted people in his comedy routine. It's okay not to like it, but be clear about why you don't like it.

A willing suspension of disbelief is highly recommended when reading this sort of thing.

And, yes, he's been uneven in his harshness.

That said, I'm reminded of a story told by the late William F. Buckley, where a reader complained that his vocabulary was too esoteric. His advice was to keep reading. A year later, the reader thanked him for toning it down. Of course, Buckley had made no changes.

Maybe we are just getting used to the Watch Snob. Maybe he is no longer biased against less expensive models as much as he was, and is thus living up to his claim of being interested in their horology and not just their price. Maybe AskMen's advertisers complained.

Rick "who enjoys the columns but absolutely does not take them seriously" Denney
    He could use the term "Watch Snob" with a sense of irony and be entertaining. Instead, he takes himself far too seriously.

A poseur is apersonwhostrikes anattitudeorassumesaposeinordertoimpressothers. It doesn't mean he's "posing" as someone else. By definition, the Watch Snob is a poseur. Take, for example, his position that there's not a watch out there under $10,000 that is worthy of anyone's time. That's a ludicrous stance. There are thousands of watches out there for well below that price point that look nice, are comfortable, go well with dress clothes and have interesting mechanisms. To automatically discount absolutely everything below a certain price point is just childish.

Buckley's was a different situation. He used words as precise instruments to make subtle points, and those words were available to anyone who wanted to learn them. The Watch Snob uses words as grenades to debase people's legitimate opinions. And, again, that would be fine if he did so with a clear sense of irony and satire, but clearly he takes himself far too seriously. Just consider, for example, how offended he became in one of his columns when a reader suggested that spending an exorbitant amount of money instead of giving it to charity is foolish. The Watch Snob expressed great offense, insulted the reader, and then told him how he (the Watch Snob) gives a great deal more to charity than the reader ever could. That's basically when I stopped reading his columns, by the way. That made it obvious that the Watch Snob wasn't being a jerk to be funny; he was being a jerk because he's really a jerk.
    Docrwm and johndozier like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefalope View Post
    I agree with everything but "he knows a lot about watches". Otherwise, two-thumbs-up from me for your review.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information