Anyone notice your watch?
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Anyone notice your watch?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anyone notice your watch?

For a long time I believed no one noticed my watches. In my early days of collecting I could never identify what watch brand/model someone else was wearing even though I looked intently. After a year or two I got a little better at that, but I still can't recognize 80%-90% of watches I see others wear. Then a while back my wife drove us to join a social club mainly to provide better swimming instruction for our son. Lets also be clear, this club is a bit heuty-teuty. My watch of choice for the club was my Rolex BLNR. I wore it for months and months and continued to assume most people do not recognize watches, but figured it was an appropriate watch for the environment. Interestingly, in this "club" environment it was easier to see people's watches... while dining with others... having cocktails... at the swim meets... I was just closer to people in a social setting than I normally found myself. My first observation was there were a fair amount of Rolex... Gold DayDates, Yachtmasters, DateJusts... not really too many Subs. I'm still the only one I've ever seen with a BLNR. The next brand of choice I've seen is Oris. I know this brand is appreciated on these forums but was not expecting to see so many in this environment. I think I've also seen a handful of Blancpains. I see a lot of "bold" Hublot-like watches as well... and maybe they are Hublot... I'm almost certain they are pricey but it is beyond me to figure what they really are.

Over the last few weeks the discussion of watches surfaced amongst "the crowd" when one of our members lost his Yachtmaster when water skiing. It was good conversation and he had it insured, so not a major catastrophe. This is when someone brought up my BLNR. One or two knew of the model but many others mentioned they've noticed it for months without knowing what it really was. All thought it was an awesome looking watch... the blue ceramic in the sun is really complimented by the blue water around. Since the "ice was broken" around watches I've had more people mention it to me, compliment me on it, inquire about the model, etc, in recent weeks.

I'm still trying to figure out what it all means... "this crowd" is appreciative of good looking watches... clearly it is not about being a pricier watch as pricier watches abound in this setting. Aside from Rolex-haters rolling their eyes at this story believing it validates all they've ever thought of Rolex, its been a bit eye opening for me. I used to chuckle at those that believed others noticed their Rolex... silly people, that doesn't actually happen. Now I'm not as sure.
    Vlance likes this.
    Citizen Eco Drive Atomic Time AT4010-50E · Bulova UHF 96B230 Military · Gavox Aurora 446.1 ·Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR · Orient Professional Saturation Diver

Re: Anyone notice your watch?

My Rolex tends to get noticed the most. Whether or not I get a comment (which is actually rare) I can see people's eyes gravitate toward the Rolex the most.

The watch that seems to get the most compliments is my Cousteau Divers, and it's always only from people who know watches. Most comments come after seeing the blue and orange and that dial.

I'm generally impressed when someone says "Nice Cousteau" just because they actually know what the watch is:

Last edited by Gunnar_917; July 20th, 2016 at 14:32.
    jah, Tseg, Chris Stark and 4 others like this.

Rolex's strategy had been to associate Rolex the brand with historic "firsts" in human achievements:

A Better Wrist: What Wearing a Rolex Says About You
    (Hey, Bill Adler is also here at WUS!)
    https://youtu.be/UOMgXMQEdrY

That strategy and marketing has people thinking of buying a Rolex for celebrating "firsts" in personal achievements: finishing whatever school, getting first job, getting engaged/married, getting first promotion, getting bigger promotion, reaching age milestone, etc. Doing that is the equivalent of getting the biggest diamond ring possible worth one or more month's salary for proposing. (If it's not big/expensive/sparkly, she will not like it, because it doesn't look good to herself and/or others; an engagement ring is also a status symbol, the status of being wanted/taken: Do you see engagement rings as status symbol? - Weddingbee) In some places in the world, Rolex sounds so common that probably it's the watch to buy at the first excuse possible; it's a bit like everyone else has one, so I need to have one.

I'm not surprised that Rolex is seen everywhere in certain upper class social circles.

As to whether or not others notice Rolex or not, from what I've read, one thing that makes sense is that those who don't have expensive taste and/or don't wear watches are more likely to not notice, and those that do are more likely to notice. So other people who wear Rolex or some other luxury watch or wear a watch at all are more likely to notice.

My experience: coinciding with my digital Casio watch lug breaking, I got my first promotion, and with that I bought a Citizen watch. I think I noticed my boss looking at it at the time, and later on my boss started wearing a Longines, followed by a more expensive watch given by her husband later on, around the time she got a bigger/better job. I guess people are people, very similar if not the same, but just on different relative levels.

I didn't buy my Citizen watch for others to notice, but I certainly don't mind if others notice and like/comment/ask about/compliment on it. There might be people poorer than me who might think I'm showing off with a Citizen watch. In a way, I am. The watch shows that I could afford a ~$500 watch, a middle class guy. There might be people richer than me who might think I look poor with a ~$500 watch. These could be scaled up or down, depending on one's social status, and the observer's social status. There might be people who don't wear or don't notice watches much or at all. But even before my WUS days, I knew about and noticed Rolex on others. Given differences between people, comparisons are intrinsic to social creatures.

I think the higher up one goes in the socioeconomic scale, the more exposed one is to expensive stuff (hey, I could afford it, I could treat myself, let's go shopping, etc.), and the more likely one is to notice Rolex or some other luxury stuff.

I've had three guys at work that noticed and commented on my watches before. If I remember correctly, one guy commented on my very old Casio watch, and said that I could afford to buy a better watch, or something like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post

The watch that seems to get the most compliments is my Cousteau Divers, and it's always only from people who know watches. Most comments come after seeing the blue and orange and that dial.

Nice Cousteau. Not sure I've seen that. Bold.
    Gunnar_917 likes this.
    Citizen Eco Drive Atomic Time AT4010-50E · Bulova UHF 96B230 Military · Gavox Aurora 446.1 ·Rolex GMT Master II 116710 BLNR · Orient Professional Saturation Diver

Nobody but other watch people ever notice. I work in IT so everybody wears a smart watch. I have had a couple women comment on my watches. That said I have gotten more compliments on Seiko's than I have over more expensive watches.
    Trying to keep the west wild.

Mostly, by bartenders and gold-diggers. xD But, in general no...

I'm well known as that idiot who wears a different watch every day so while my watch doesn't get noticed the lack of one on my wrist would soon draw comment.
    aahyuup likes this.

my boss noticed that I wore a different watch almost every day; my Sea-Gull skeleton is the only one that's ever drawn a question/sparked a conversation from another co-worker. outside of work, most of my friends know I'm into watches (probably a byproduct of me not realizing my FB was connected to my instagram.. [that has since been severed]).

the only people I have noticed noticing my watches amongst the general public tend to be other watch collectors, and chances are, I've already looked at their wrists.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

Only once and that was my mum!
    Gunnar_917 likes this.
    Omega Seamaster 300m Ref 210.30.42.20.01.001
    Oris Aquis "Hulk"
    Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 8700

Incessantly. It bugs the .... out of me. Can't people just let me be?
    Lange 1815chrono likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information