To anyone who says Mechanical Watches don't have a soul...
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: To anyone who says Mechanical Watches don't have a soul...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

To anyone who says Mechanical Watches don't have a soul...

Paraphrased from a Book I'm reading.

They are alive, because they are the physical shape of the action of a living power—of the mind that had been able to grasp the whole of this complexity, to set its purpose, to give it form… they are alive, but their soul operates them by remote control. Their soul is in every man who has a capacity equal to this achievement. Should the soul vanish from the earth, the motors would stop because that is the force which keeps them going - not the oil ...- not the steel cylinders that would have become spots of rust on the walls of the caves of shivering savages- the power of a living mind, the power of thought and choice and purpose.
    Pretty well sums up why I like machines in general, and in large part, why I'm an engineer. Just thought I'd share.
    Last edited by Bleh; April 16th, 2010 at 14:14.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Re: To anyone who says Mechanical Watches don't have a soul...

Looks like my tax return!
    Some mornings its just not worth gnawing through the straps

That's a thing of beauty!

But you know, as a relative newbie to watches, I'm coming around to the other line of thinking...that digitals can have a soul too...

Dan

Not entirely sure what I'm collecting anymore....

NS-13

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful! Both the picture and the passage.
    G-Shock Frogman GWF-D1000B
    G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    G-Shock Mudmaster GWG1000-1A3
    G-Shock Rangeman GPS 35th anniversary Magma Ocean GPR-1JR

Thanks for letting us into your sick little world, Bleh.
    J/K
    That's what I like about mechanical movements. A collection of inanimate parts, properly arranged and sized to create a machine that can run for 40+ hours and accurately track the passage of time. Worthless parts until a mind enters the picture.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Haf

People usually say that quartz watches do not have a soul, while the mechanical ones do have it.

Quote Originally Posted by drickster View Post
    But you know, as a relative newbie to watches, I'm coming around to the other line of thinking...that digitals can have a soul too...
    I don't necessarily disagree on this point. While they can have a soul, it's more a soul of their own, disjointed and distant from the human element. Were we all to be wiped out, digitals would go their merry way tracking the passage of a now obsolete time until such a time as their batteries died. The connection is too alien for me to feel real affection for a digital watch in the same way that I do for a mechanical watch which I more directly impart the energy and thought and purpose to the mechanism.

But to each his own, I know I'm crazy ...
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree on this point. While they can have a soul, it's more a soul of their own, disjointed and distant from the human element. Were we all to be wiped out, digitals would go their merry way tracking the passage of a now obsolete time until such a time as their batteries died. The connection is too alien for me to feel real affection for a digital watch in the same way that I do for a mechanical watch which I more directly impart the energy and thought and purpose to the mechanism.

But to each his own, I know I'm crazy ...

Unless its a Eco-drive then it will go on for ever
    C7 Bluebird Limited Edition #23
    RLT 73
    Laco Altenburg
    VE Expedition North Pole 1
    CWL C700
    Vostok-Europe Anchar
    Casio G Shock G-7900A
    NIXON DELTA II PU
    Tissot T-Touch Expert Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    Unless its a Eco-drive then it will go on for ever
    They still have a battery (well, a capacitor, but toe-may-to ta-mah-toe), which will eventually stop working. Either way, solar watches are even more disjointed from human interaction, and as such, I don't feel the endearment which I feel for a mechanical.

I'm not dissing digitals/quartz. They're extraordinarily useful as tools, and rugged beyond their purpose, and I like them for that. I have one digital (A riseman if you're curious), and it serves its purpose well, but I don't have a connection with it on the same level as I do with my mechs. It's aesthetically appealing, and I enjoy wearing it, but there's no affection there.

Quote Originally Posted by Haf View Post
    People usually say that quartz watches do not have a soul, while the mechanical ones do have it.
    This is more directed at the quartz fanboys who keep saying "I don't get it, how can a watch have a soul.... Higher maintenance doesn't mean it has a soul..." There are many instances in the Quartz vs Mech battles that frequently pop up here where quartz-ers will dismiss the idea.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information