Anyway to protect anodized stainless steel?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tsujigiri

Thread: Anyway to protect anodized stainless steel?

Anyway to protect anodized stainless steel?

Any tips, hints, or tricks to protecting anodized steel? Just bought a Citizen Skyhawk like the one pictured below, and would like to keep the coating as fresh as possible for as long as possible. Previously had a Nighthawk with, I assume, the same coating, including on the clasp, and it wore off the clasp after like 2 openings. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, it was broke out of the box, so I returned it. Had I done my due diligence prior to purchase, I probably would not have bought the Skyhawk,at least not with the black bracelet.

The thing that really sucks, is that it was delivered to my folks house in the states, and by the time I get there to get it, the return period will long be expired.

The pics are from a watch currently up for sale on here, so I hope Im not breaking any rules.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  142.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  118.1 KB

Re: Anyway to protect anodized stainless steel?

The only wY to protect a pvd finish from wear is to keep it in the box. Wear is the inevitable consequence of enjoying a watch. It might help to think of it as patina.

Smile Re: Anyway to protect anodized stainless steel?

Kind of figured that. Maybe Ill just hit with some flat black Rustoleum like I use on the grill when the time comes.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's why i never like non solid paint on mobile phones, watches, cameras etc etc, because sooner or later they wear off and it looks twice as ugly as scratched solid material (like inox).

Only partially useful could be DLC coating which falls into the diamond/sapphire category and doesn't really wear of like ion plating/PVD...
    It doesn't matter how much the watch costs, it only matters if it makes your heart tick.

I've seen a black tegimented Sinn badly scratched and worn off. So even surface hardening does not work miracles. Tough the Titanium Carbide coated blue bezel of my Oceanus has been surprisingly resistant to scratches. I can see mild scratches from some angles, but it's like on a glass surface covering the bezel, practically invisible. The metal is titanium though, not steel.

Unfortunately, that type of coating is very tough to keep scratch free, unless like JohnMS suggested, you just keep it in the box.......
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I don't think you can anodize steel BTW. Anodization is a process that uses electricity and acid to build up a hard layer of oxidation on a metal that is much thicker than what would develop naturally. For steel, this would be iron oxide, which is just rust. For aluminum, though, this would be a layer of aluminum oxide, which is a hard and durable protective coat that can be colored as well. A black steel watch is coated with a substance. In increasing order of durability and quality, the most common coatings are titanium oxide, PVD, and DLC. Not sure which one the Skyhawk uses.

But the coating will wear eventually, no matter how careful you are with it. Scratches will start to go through the finish with time. Many people like this distressed look on black watches. The only way you can really avoid this is to either not use it or buy a ceramic watch.
    shoen likes this.

Thread Information