AP ROO vs VC Overseas help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wschofield3

Thread: AP ROO vs VC Overseas help

AP ROO vs VC Overseas help

Hello all,

A few months ago I celebrated a big life event and bought my grail watch, a AP ROO Safari. Although I love looking at the watch in my watch box, I don't wear it as much as I'd like to because it's a little more chunky and brash than I am use too. Am I crazy for thinking about selling the Safari and going with the VC Overseas chrono?

-Dana

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
    Semper Fi,
    Dana Cook

Re: AP ROO vs VC Overseas help

No, the VC seems a bit more subdued/reserved if that's what you are looking for, but do yourself a favor and get it on the bracelet. One of the most comfortable I've ever worn.
    mleok and joepac like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    No, the VC seems a bit more subdued/reserved
    Vacheron and "subdued/reserved"... don't hear that very often.
    I love the Vacheron Overseas blue. Nobody does blue dials better than VC.
    I'd choose a VC over a AP every single time, no contest.
    Ulysse Nardin, DOXA, Tudor, Cuervo Y Sobrinos, Eterna, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Ball, Zenith​, Tissot, Sea-Gull, Dievas, ​Laco, Seiko, Orient Star, Casio, Suunto

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It is all personal taste. For me it is the VC. If you are having doubts about the AP, I think your tastes are also telling you VC. I would say to get the VC and don't sell the AP until you now for sure one way or the other.

Personally, you'd have to pay me to wear the VC (I don't do big dates), but I love that ROO. If you want to switch, I would look at a RO chrono, not the VC.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

If you don’t need or want the chrono (you may but seem to be looking for more subtlety) I’d get a VC Overseas 3 hand in blue, the 2017 model, not 2016. If you want to make a bold statement the AP RO is very distinctive and will probably hold value. If you go to sell it there are guys out there who would love it.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

Whats everyone's thoughts on trading in watches? One option I have is to trade in my Safari and take a small hit. Do you guys trade in watches like this or sell them outright?

I have bought and sold on forums but only watches that are sub $5k but nothing of similar value to my AP Safari.

Semper Fi,
    Dana Cook

If the trade is fair to you there is no problem, aside from the issue of your trading partner's reliability.

I have owned several Overseas chronos and own a ROO now. Its all what you like. Yes, the ROO is brash, and for me I like that. I found the VC a little too understated.

VC is now on their 3rd iteration of the Overseas. The 1st was a bit small and the bracelet was notorious for plucking hair - very uncomfortable. The 2nd version was enlarged and the hair issue fixed on the bracelet. It is an amazing bracelet, and I've owned many top tier sports watches on bracelet. The 2nd (and maybe the 1st also) is powered by the F. Piguet 1185 (owned by Blancpain), a wonderful top tier movement with great touch on the pushers. The 2nd version may be the best choice money wise. The current 3rd version has a subtly reworked dial that is very pretty - a step up from v 2, eliminates the big date, softens the case's lines and most notably is fitted with an in-house VC manufactured movement, the 5200. The blue dial on v 3 is killer but sporty.

Avoid v 1. Depending on the price difference between v 2 and 3 ... Personally I like the big date, but the way the movement is set up for the big date I've heard watch makers complain about working on it. No complaints from VC trained watchmakers though, but probably not a watch to have just any good watch maker service.
    Last edited by Gary123; October 11th, 2017 at 16:58.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Yes. Trade the AP and get a VC. My VC Overseas is my fave. I also have a AP RO 15400 which gets some wear-time but not nearly as much as the VC.

Thread Information