AP Wearers/Brand Perception
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: AP Wearers/Brand Perception

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

AP Wearers/Brand Perception

Hi all,

I am keen to hear any input on the broader perception of AP in the watch world.

I am a relative newbie to watches, first paying an interest at the back end of last year and subsequently purchasing a PAM 312 within days of discovering the forum - which I am very much enjoying (the watch and the forum).

Since then, despite enjoying it, I have of course started shopping around for my second piece once the bug is caught it is hard to shake. I don't necessarily plan to buy something immediately, but am working on my knowledge so I can make an informed decision when the time does come, or if the right watch finds me before I find it then I will know.

I have been doing a lot of reading on AP and the various reviews of the AP Royal Oak (15400 is the model that interests me) versus the PP Nautilus (5711). Without wanting to start another AP RO vs PP Nautilus thread, I was keen to understand how AP are viewed by the WIS population.

There are various articles out there with conflicting views - some view AP as a classic and being at the pinnacle (or near to it) of watch ownership, others stating that the brand has been devalued by its association with various rappers and such like for whom the ROO is a particular favourite.

I like the idea of the 15400, and when factoring in it is near enough half the price of the Nautilus it becomes a very attractive proposition indeed. The PP seems revered by WIS everywhere, but simply speaking I prefer the design of the AP at the age I am as it seems a bit more contemporary/younger, and the fact that PP is seen as a good investment has no bearing on my decision as I am buying the watch to enjoy, not to make money/not lose money.

So AP then - are there negative connotations? Are they highly revered? And how do the AP RO wearers find their watches are received in general? Many thanks

Re: AP Wearers/Brand Perception

AP is a great company and there is no disrespect anywhere to be found for them with the exception of a few people who just don't get the style. HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.

The 15400 is an amazing watch and having tried it on I can say I was blown away with it having previously not connected with the royal oak line. I would say go for it.

Also you are basically required to post a wrist shot of your Pam or at LEAST link to your thread when you bought it.

100% behind this.
    Quote Originally Posted by inhaus View Post
    AP is a great company and there is no disrespect anywhere to be found for them with the exception of a few people who just don't get the style. HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.

The 15400 is an amazing watch and having tried it on I can say I was blown away with it having previously not connected with the royal oak line. I would say go for it.

Also you are basically required to post a wrist shot of your Pam or at LEAST link to your thread when you bought it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Largely agree about ROOs - the chronos are butt fugly - but to my eyes, the SS Diver is a big exception.

Additionally. not a fan of AP's strategy of rolling out special editions for no apparent reason. I imagine they're trying to monetize their reputation or expand their appeal to a greater audience, but I think it cheapens their brand. I have yet to see one that I'd wear even if it was given to me. For example, we have this beauty...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Agree with Inhaus....
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

HOWEVER the Royal Oak Offshore line is a monstrosity, looks like a plastic invicta in person, and lacks all class. So anything negative you hear here is likely directed squarely at the shoulders of the offshore line.
    Shading basketball players and rappers ..Name:  oh.gif
Views: 403
Size:  723 Bytes

Realizing that I am not really familiar with any AP other than the RO, I went to their website and looked through their current models. They have some ok looking watches, but honestly nothing that is better (visually) than what is available from competitors. Their movements are gorgeous and very well made, of course, and the cases look top notch as you would expect at that level. Their styles, however, are just...off. The RO is still the best of the bunch, which is, I suppose, why it's the one we always see around here. I'm not sure I know what defines AP, which may be part of their perception problem. I know their reputation for watchmaking, but looking at their offerings makes me wonder what they are aiming for.

AP is more than the Royal Oak.

AP has a rich history, making grand complications for the longest time. Unfortunately, they have to survive and the ROO and its limitless 'limited' editions were their way of doing so. And it's not easy to survive as an independent watch brand amidst the conglomerates.

i own a royal oak, and the finishing is excellent. To me, AP (and VC) make great quality watches at far less inflated prices than PP. The ROO 'entourage' doesn't bother me.
    inhaus and Techniec like this.
    'I reach for my watch from the bedside table and consider the dial - its rectitude, its innocence - then I understand the position of the hands and that, yes, rush-hour traffic will already have begun.' - Deborah Eisenberg, The Flaw in the Design

Both PP and AP are legendary brands. History, quality, prestige, they got it all.

I prefer the AP Royal Oak to it's competitors. It's the watch that inspired the PP Nautilus and later the stuff from Hublot.

But in terms of overall catalog, I generally prefer Patek's stuff over AP's.

Just another +1. If you're concerned about the public's ideas on AP then you might find more negative sentiments but a WIS will find it hard to be opposed to AP as a company with their storied history, innovations and classic models. The RO (not ROO) is fantastic and a jewel of a watch as are their many dress watch offerings.

If you like the RO do it and know you have a true classic on your wrist.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information