The appeal of old watches?
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: The appeal of old watches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The appeal of old watches?

Brought about reading this thread https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/anyo...a-2497714.html

Can someone explain to me, in easy(as in not too esoteric) and factual terms what is the appeal of old watches?

To me, as it stand, watches like the thread above are just old banged up things not worth a fiver. If I had a watch this banged up, I'd throw it away and buy a new one as soon as fund permit, so clearly I'm missing something.

Don't want to start a war here, I genuinely want to understand something that flies a hundred feet above my head at the moment.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

Re: The appeal of old watches?

Well, there is one that I'm wearing now, bought it over a half century ago, it became vintage and I, a geezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Well, there is one that I'm wearing now, bought it over a half century ago, it became vintage and I, a geezer.
    That I understand, you bought it a long time ago, probably have a lot of memories associated with it, and, having an object in you hand that was there with you when reminiscing make memories more real. I get that.

Entirely different than purchasing something old from somebody else.
    chuasam likes this.
    All opinions expressed in this post are subject to change after sobering up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Everything vintage is in vogue now, bonus points goes to something that also works (that autavia is still telling time for example)

Отправлено с моего Philips I908 через Tapatalk

To some, an old watch cannot compare to the current offerings in terms of looks and build quality. To others, an old watch is something that has passed the test of time and gets better looking with each passing year.

Tritium, matte dials and plexi crystals are what vintage collectors' dreams are made of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some people want the real thing.

Watches were once an important equipment/tool that too many cannot live/work without. Divers, engineers, doctors, aviators etc. Now it has become a jewelry.

For example, when I was searching for my first Ball watch, I learned about its history and its importance in railroad logistics. Instead of buying a new Ball watch, which is now owned by a Swiss company without any association to the original Ball company, I found and bought an original Ball Official Standard watch used by railroad crew.

How many of us actually go diving, or work on a train, or fly a plane? It's simply what you like, appreciate and styling.
    James A, Ard and bipyjamas like this.

Because we are "anoraks" in some form or another. Why wear "old technology" per mechanicals, hell, if you're going to wear old tech you might as well wear OLD technology. You relish that moment when someone asks you about your wrist relic, then you can launch into a history/philosophy diatribe. No wonder it's so hard to pick up chicks.

-or-

because they don't make it anymore

I like the idea of vintage (like really old) watches, but I can not get them to work with my attire. But recent vintage (70s+), now that is a different story. Especially subs and omega.
    Current:
    Omega wavy dial Seamaster 300m (my engagment ring circa 2004)
    Stowa Ikarus Blue hands/onion dial

Next up:
    Datejust 16234

Depending on what you are looking for, they can be about 30% or less of the cost of a new item that is essentially the same. Do an e-bay search for vintage VC or PP and see what the pricing brings. You will have to spend some time to find what you want, but it can be worth it.

Also, vintage watches tend to be thinner (on average) than modern items. This translates to less weight and a more comfortable wear.

ETA:

The pic below is of a 1948 Seamaster that my dad bought new. When I got my hands on it in ~2000, it was in rough shape. Because it was my dad's and I wanted to wear it, I had it restored. I have been wearing it as my dress watch ever since. I am currently looking for a real dress watch, but given I want solid gold (probably VC, PP or Zenith), I am looking at vintage to save the $$$. If I have to spend a few hundred $$$ to put it right for daily wear, that will still give me a great watch at a fraction of the new price for a very similar watch. I am in no rush, so I will likely be able to find what I want with no restoration costs and only the cost of a COA.

Last edited by Shutterbug57; October 21st, 2015 at 20:00.

Because finding a 36,000 vph movement is at least a few thousand, whereas this is less than $200.

Name:  image-2011844411.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  474.1 KB

Another watch I may acquire at some point is an original Smiths Military. I like the history and the English origin, including movement.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information