Apply DLC to a watch or just purchace a pre-owned MRG

Thread: Apply DLC to a watch or just purchace a pre-owned MRG

Cool Apply DLC to a watch or just purchace a pre-owned MRG

Hi all,
    This is my first post so go easy.

My dilemma is as follows. I am finally able to spend some money on a nice watch. I have never owned a lot of watches so the one I have is with me all the time. So I guess I am pretty hard on them. I have had numerous casios, timex and others only to have them scuffed-up and resin scratched.
    Now I would like to get a "nicer" all-metal and analogue/digital watch that can "take the heat".
    I originally had my heart set on Tissot T-touch expert. I like the look and all the features. However, I am a very weary of the Titanium and scratch-ability (which opinion is mixed, but generally accepted as high scratching, here on the forums). I have also looked at and like the Oceanus line including OCW-300 and especially OCW-500 (which I can't find anywhere). Third on my list, but also stellar seems so be the classy Certina DS-Multi-8 . I have seen several Citizen Attesas, as I believe they have the coating as well, but they mostly just don't do it for me . I would like to spend about 700+- 200.

So my main question is this, can I buy a watch and have a company treat it with DLC? Has anyone ever done this/ know of anyone who could do it?
    A simple search on-line reveals a few vague companies that have done it to Rolex's and Omega's which make me believe it is prohibitively expensive. If I could do this what would you expect it to cost?

Or should I just wait for an ever elusive pre-owned MRG. I like several, especially similar to MRG-7100BJ-1AJF. There seem to be some, but all above the price of 1000$. Anyone want to sell me one?
    Thanks!

Re: Apply DLC to a watch or just purchace a pre-owned MRG

A DLC coating won't prevent scratches, it is more resisant than bare stainless steel or titanium but when you do scratch it, it is far more obvious because of the contrast between the black DLC and the steel underneath. The advantage with uncoated SS and titanium is that they can be refinished to remove most scratches but with a DLC (or PVD'd) finish there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm careful with my watches but I've still managed to get a couple of small scratches with the steel showing through on the clasp of my DLC watch.

I think you will either need to be more careful wearing your watches or except the inevitable scratches...or maybe consider ceramic?

Thanks Peakay,
    I know that DLC is not scratchproof. I would not try and take my watch trough a brick wall, I guess I just like the Idea of not having to worry about it as much. I once had an SS Casio that wore well because the scratches kind of blended into the matte finish.
    Though, with a bit of care I think most wold agree that the DLC is better. But I guess the question is whether or not it would be worth it or feasible to get a DLC coating.
    Yeah, If only there were more Ani/digi watches made of ceramic or Tungsten Carbide and sub 1000$ Yes, I know I'm dreaming.
    Which DLC watch of yours did you scratch and do you know how you scratched it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There's also the option of Cerakote; although I have no experience with it, it sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaDO View Post
    Which DLC watch of yours did you scratch and do you know how you scratched it?
    I have a Steinhart Ocean Black DLC, which is one of the cheapest watches out there with a DLC coating: OCEAN BLACK DLC - Diver Watch - Steinhart Watches

I've no idea what caused the scratches, but the clasp is the part that is most likely to come into contact with other surfaces and pickup scratches.

As to having a watch coated in DLC, I seem to remember reading that it could cost several hundred $/£ as a one off job; more economical to buy one that comes with a DLC finish like my Steinhart.

Thread Information