Appropriate High end watch for middle class??
Like Tree363Likes

Thread: Appropriate High end watch for middle class??

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Appropriate High end watch for middle class??

Greetings, i am new to this forum, as well as the hobby and minor obsession with mechanical watches and the history they represent. My question to you all is - how do you find that perfect high end watch with so many options out there, and what is appropriate spending price for an average middle class person? I am only 24 years old-active duty enlisted military, and i won't wear the high end watch on an everyday basis (got suunto core for that, which is also lovely). I am just infatuated with starting a swiss collection. I have recently acquired my first entry level swiss timepiece made by Steinhart, i bought the rolex 5517 homage, ocean vintage military (first version) and have fallen in love with it instantly. using it with different nato bands is just endless and its very beautiful and especially affordable coming in at only 500 bucks. I want my next watch to be something in the high end (probably used). How much is too far for an average middle class guy like myself? I really have been obsessing over the Rolex Explorer 1 36mm lately, along with the typical 11660 SS sub or two tone. Tag heuer's monaco steve mcqueen calibre 12 has caught my eye as well, the heisenburg watch. I like omegas too, would really prefer to stay toward rolex though which is.. the holy grail IMHO. Figured i would turn to the forums seeing as i don't know many people who could sit down and talk about watches with me for hours upon end. This hobby has become such an obsession its frightening.
    Last edited by deroya; April 3rd, 2015 at 03:30.

Re: Appropriate High end watch for middle class??

For one thing, a homage (knockoff) is NOT "appropriate".
    janiboi and Buzzedhornet like this.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

The explorer is a very good choice!
    socrates35, MLJinAK and Rusty427 like this.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I own a few hong kong knockoffs i got as gifts years and years ago. I believe there is a big difference between a homage and a knockoff. homage is honest from the beginning and swiss made, eta movement with solid structuring i think it more or less pays tribute to the real thing (in this case, a 100k watch), and wearing it as so i do not try to pull it off like a rolex ref 5517. anyone who asks i explain what it is and the meaning behind its tribute. wearing a "knockoff" is trying to wear it and actually pull it off as if it were a real rolex.
    Last edited by deroya; April 3rd, 2015 at 03:43.
    MLJinAK, shemp55, bunt and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deroya View Post
    I own a few hong kong knockoffs i got as gifts years and years ago. I believe there is a big difference between a homage and a knockoff. homage is honest from the beginning and swiss made, eta movement with solid structuring i think it more or less pays tribute to the real thing (in this case, a 100k watch), and wearing it as so i do not try to pull it off like a rolex ref 5517. anyone who asks i explain what it is and the meaning behind its tribute.
    Knockoff + lipstick = homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Knockoff + lipstick = homage.
    Honestly I'm not here to debate that particular watch. whether its a knockoff or a homage all comes down to personal opinion. It is swiss made and i really liked the look of the rolex 5517 but who can afford that. any who, i think the explorer 1 is sweet too.. i notice they have it now in 39mm as well.. i feel as though that takes away from the original aspect and history of the watch. Everything seems to be going bigger now a days. I can't get over the look of the 36mm but its hard to pick that over a sub.. 50/50 on both

Honestly I'm not here to debate that particular watch. whether its a knockoff or a homage all comes down to personal opinion. It is swiss made and i really liked the look of the rolex 5517 but who can afford that. any who, i think the explorer 1 is sweet too.. i notice they have it now in 39mm as well.. i feel as though that takes away from the original aspect and history of the watch. Everything seems to be going bigger now a days. I can't get over the look of the 36mm but its hard to pick that over a sub.. 50/50 on both
    Welcome to the forum.

The 36mm Explorer 1 is really nice. It looks like the hands and everything are in a bit nicer proportion to the case than on the newer 39mm version.

With that being said, the bracelet on the 39mm is definitely an upgrade. So, pretty much, you should try on a bunch of watches that you mentioned. It's a good way to start getting a feel for them.

Greetings, i am new to this forum, as well as the hobby and minor obsession with mechanical watches and the history they represent. My question to you all is - how do you find that perfect high end watch with so many options out there, and what is appropriate spending price for an average middle class person? I am only 24 years old-active duty enlisted military, and i won't wear the high end watch on an everyday basis (got suunto core for that, which is also lovely). I am just infatuated with starting a swiss collection. I have recently acquired my first entry level swiss timepiece made by Steinhart, i bought the rolex 5517 homage, ocean vintage military (first version) and have fallen in love with it instantly. using it with different nato bands is just endless and its very beautiful and especially affordable coming in at only 500 bucks. I want my next watch to be something in the high end (probably used). How much is too far for an average middle class guy like myself? I really have been obsessing over the Rolex Explorer 1 36mm lately, along with the typical 11660 SS sub or two tone. Tag heuer's monaco steve mcqueen calibre 12 has caught my eye as well, the heisenburg watch. I like omegas too, would really prefer to stay toward rolex though which is.. the holy grail IMHO. Figured i would turn to the forums seeing as i don't know many people who could sit down and talk about watches with me for hours upon end. This hobby has become such an obsession its frightening.
    I'd start by seeing a shrink to figure out why you're into "rolex" looking watches. It is 2015, most people have taste. From there you should look at watches that you know...look good, and are useful for your wear. After that buy a watch you can afford.

Or this is a silly question and you should ask about what you like and what is a good value and do that. :)
    Parkgate and Anglo Irish like this.

What does "swiss made" mean to you? To me it mean's it was made in a country I've never been to. I haven't been to Iraq either. Perhaps you should say it was "not iraq made" since that has the same value add!

Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    I'd start by seeing a shrink to figure out why you're into "rolex" looking watches. It is 2015, most people have taste.
    No need to be rude, guy.
    Dane17, socrates35, drhr and 30 others like this.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information