Archimede Outdoor 41 AntiMag review (pic heavy!)
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Archimede Outdoor 41 AntiMag review (pic heavy!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Archimede Outdoor 41 AntiMag review (pic heavy!)

Thanks to Archimede and Mike I had the chance to wear an Archimede Outdoor 41 AntiMag for a week. Basically, it's a slightly larger version of the well known Archimede Outdoor (39mm case), but with an added iron inner case to improve its resistance against magnetic fields. The watch is sold on a soft and very comfortable leather strap that works beautifully with the overall design in my opinion.

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  192.3 KB

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  82.7 KB

The case

Archimede watches are made by Ickler, a German manufacturer specialized on supplying cases to the Swiss watch industry. So it is no surprise that the case looks very well made. The brushed surfaces are fantastic and it looks very well proportioned. But what really impresses me are the dimensions: it's 41mm in diameter, 46.5mm short lug to lug and only 11mm high. I have an 18cm (7.1'') wrist, so even on smaller wrists this watch would certainly not look too big.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  127.6 KB

Despite its size, the hardened steel case has an iron inner case which gives the watch an imressive 80,000 A/m (= 1000 Gauss) magnetic resistance, and a reassuring 200m water resistance on top of that. Let that sink in for a moment. The benchmark of all 1000 Gauss antimag watches is the Rolex Milgauss of course, which has 100m WR, stands 13.5mm tall, and costs 7.5k€. Here is a watch with the same magnetic shielding, 2.5mm slimmer, more WR and under 1000€. Sure, it's a different movement, it's not a Rolex, etc., but making a case with those specs at that price point is a remarkable example of Ickler's capabilities.

Name:  g3.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  g4.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  g5.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  c5.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  86.1 KB

I already have a (made by Ickler) Limes Endurance 1tausend diver in my collection, which also wears amazingly slim for a 1000m WR diver, so I though it would be cool to show both watches side by side.

Name:  g9.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  178.3 KB

Name:  g6.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  94.0 KB

Name:  g7.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  113.7 KB

The movement

The Outdoor 41 is powered by a Sellita SW 200 workhorse, which really needs no further introduction. On the wrist it beats with an excellent accuracy in the range of +/- 2 s/day, and the timegrapher confirms this great result.

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  89.6 KB

Sure, it's a test watch that was picked for reviewing by Archimede, so it might not be overly surprising to see this accuracy - except for the fact that my four years old Limes Endurance does exactly the same!

Name:  t3.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  94.9 KB

Dial and hands

The dial is matte black and very similar to the 39mm version. With its raised chapter ring it has a nice 3D look to it and is super legible. The baton style hour and minute hands are simple and nicely proportioned. The star here, however, is the blue seconds hand. I think it's my favorite detail on the entire watch! Depending on the lighting, it looks either light or dark blue, but always crisp, thanks to its plain steel surface that was heat blued rather than covered in paint.

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  98.7 KB

The lume is good but not overwhelming.

Name:  g10.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  71.1 KB

Straps

Just for fun, I tried how the watch would look on the Erika's Marine Nationale strap I usually have on the Endurance. Both cases have 20mm lug width, so it was a simple swap.

Name:  g8.jpg
Size:  125.6 KB

Not bad in my opinion, but the original leather strap fits a lot better, I'd say. Thanks to its construction, it has notched cornes that create a smooth line with the case flanks, which can't be achieved by regular 20mm straps in the same way. I hope that Archimede will offer the Outoor 41 on a matching bracelet one day! That would make it even more versatile.

Speaking of which, with its moderate size, clean dial and black leather strap, I felt no need to bring a different watch for the business meeting I had last week. Granted, most people don't notice what you're wearing anyway, but I was absolutely confident that the Archimede wouldn't look out of place with shirt and tie. It's just a super versatile watch that works in all kinds of situations indoors and outdoors!

Thanks for reading, many thanks to Archimede and Mike for arranging this pass around, and now I'll just shut up and let some more pics speak for themselves.

Name:  o3.jpg
Size:  227.3 KB

Name:  o4.jpg
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  o5.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  311.2 KB

Name:  o7.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  o8.jpg
Size:  148.8 KB
    Lee_K, MarkBishop, Lurius and 12 others like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Archimede Outdoor 41 AntiMag review (pic heavy!)

Thanks for an excellent review with eye-pleasing, not to say mouth watering, pictures. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 9th, 2019 at 22:04.
    ffritz and soaking.fused like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Nice writeup. If I didn't have a visceral dislike for hooded lugs, I'd consider one. Enjoy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Archimede made a good move by offering the Outdoor in anti-mag without having to increase the case size by much. Another great product from this highly regarded semi-micro.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

Great write-up ffritz, thanks for wearing and sharing!

What is the real difference between the 41mm and the 39mm, just the second hand for the most part and anti-magnetic inner back?
    "A child thinks 20 shillings and 20 years can scarce ever be spent." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

It‘s first and foremost the Antimag soft iron inner case.

Name:  99C3C0C5-3F84-45C5-8C50-9F4BD9628D47.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  264.7 KB

The „inner case“ – consisting of dial, movement spacer and base – bundles the magnetic field lines and guides them safely around the watch movement.
    ffritz and Chris Stark like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

This looks like BGW9 lume. I would think that's quite acceptable.

But good on you for an excellent review. I enjoyed reading it! I wish there were more detailed reviews like yours.
    The next watch I get will definitively, finally, and without a question, be my last one!

Great review and pics, thanks for posting it.

-- Wayne

Splendid review. I like this write up. Thanks!

What a looker. Not to mention I think i can actually see how comfortable that strap is in the photos. Thanks for the write up!
    ffritz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information