Archimede pilot watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Archimede pilot watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Archimede pilot watch

I´m considering buying an Archimede pilot watch (http://www.archimede-uhren.de/EN/Pilot-family.htm) but don´t know much about these watches. Have any of you tried them? Are they good?

If buying, I can´t decide which size to choose. I know the old pilot watches were quite big, but I don´t like watches being too big. Could I choose the 39mm, or is that too small for a pilot? Perhaps the 42mm is the best choice?

I´m grateful if you share your opinions!

Banned

Re: Archimede pilot watch

I would choose the 45 because it is large without being too large for the majority of wrists, and it is fitted with the 6498 moveemnt. This is a nice manual wind movement.

The 2824 is nice enough, but a bit boring compared to the big old low beat pocket watch movement 6498. If you can spring for it the Top version looks very nice.

If you compare casebacks, the 42mm is stuffed full of bland and boring rotor. Much nicer to look at a manual wind IMO.

Excellent company...

Great value for the money... 42mm is perfect!!!

you will not regret it...
    -incognito-
    Sinn U1 Black Phantom LE
    Muhle Glashutte Terrasport II
    Ball Engineer Master II Aviator
    Maurice Lacroix Les Classique
    Limes ​Principio Titanium 37/42 LE
    Fortis Flieger B Dial Cockpit Date
    Oris Williams F1 Day Date
    Steinhart Nav B Uhr 44mm
    Limes Titanium

My Watch Collection
    My Pinterest Watch Page

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As per "Incognito" response

Hmmm .. I do want the 42 mm, then, I think. Is there anyone thinking 42mm is too big? My wrist size is a bit below average, I think.

Does anyobe know the movement? Can I pause the second hand to set he correct time?

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Archimede makes a great Fliegeruhr, but if you want to purchase one from one of the original five I would go with Stowa or Laco. They both are in your price range and I think they make a better watch. Stowa has a beautiful Nav-B coming out in May that I am currently on the waiting list for. I have an Archimede and it's a great watch but I prefer the history of the other two companies. My wrist is 6.25 and the 42mm is perfect on my wrist I can also wear a 47mm without any problems. You might also want to check out Steinhart for a Fliegeruhr. They have a great selection also.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

I have the 39 mm Limes Nightflight. Like Archimede, it is from Ickler, and aside from the location of the date window, the styling is nearly identical to the Pilot. I have an average sized wrist and the 39 mm diameter looks fine. If your wrist is slightly smaller than average, then I think 42 mm is too big.

The Pilot has an ETA 2824-2 movement - same as my Nightflight, although Limes is Ickler's "upscale" brand and mine may be more finely finished. However, it's a well known, good quality, workhorse movement. Yes, when you pull out the stem to the time setting position, the second hand stops.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

All Archimede watches are known to be excellent value for the money. You can't go wrong with any Archimede. Please feel free to visit our German Watches Forum and use the search function just typing Archimede. You may also check our Review section for detailed information.

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I have a 42mm black PVD Archimede pilot and it's been great. Out of the box it kept about +6 per day and now it's settled down to between +2 - +4 perday depending on my wearing pattern. As for size, it is nice and thin so I doubt the 42mm would look to big unless your wrists are under 6in. At the same time it's all dial so I personally would have no urge to go for anything bigger than 42mm even though I do have a 44mm dive watch.

I was actually having some second thoughts about the sizes of Archimede Pilot watches as well. I contacted the guys at Archimede and they replied to me that the strap of the 39mm Pilot watch is made for wrists sized 7" and up. Since my wrists are slightly below 6,5" and I didn't feel like customizing the strap or buying a new one, that was it for me. No Archimede Pilot.

They did tell me that their new 36mm Pilot would fit my wrist, but that one is just a bit too small for my taste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information