Arggghh! STOP!!!
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Arggghh! STOP!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Arggghh! STOP!!!

I popped in to a local Tissot dealer today to have a look at the Visodate. The watch has what seems an odd feature – you can either have the regular day display or have it shown with a number before the day as well. I asked what the purpose of this was. The assistant didn’t know and called one of his colleagues over. They didn’t know either. They then proceeded to rapidly wind the hands backwards and forwards in the 10pm-4am zone, then started changing the date and day display, then some more hand winding backwards and forwards, then some more flicking of the day/date. I stood there watching them in horror, in my mind hearing the date mechanism being mangled by this barrage of mistreatment. Had I liked the watch I sure as hell wouldn’t have bought that particular example.

Have you witnessed other horrors at the Jewellers?
    pesfunk likes this.

Re: Arggghh! STOP!!!

I don't know, I don't take much care when winding my watches.. they all seem fine.

Never seen anything this bad. If anything - many go too crazy w caution - "ah don't push that button" when trying to see how chronograph works or some other BS. Whole point of B&M storefront is to let customers experience the watch, not just look at it via a glass cover.

But if they did not know about day wheels offering multiple day variants (usually 2 languages, but Tissot uses day/#day), I'm not surprised that they never heard of not messing around w date changes between 9pm and 3am. If they don't know about day wheels, they probably don't know about date change mechanism.
    Most people employed in these stores are not knowledgeable re: watches - they are salespeople and get a basic 1-2 day training on the brands they sell (usually fluff rather than in-depth understanding).
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a shock, where I live the people in jewelry stores etc have zero information about watches. One of the reasons I haven't bought a watch in a brick and mortar store for years.
    yankeexpress likes this.

It's a fairly standard layout on Tissot watches so I would have expected a Tissot dealer to know about it. If they were Seiko dealers then I could have understood why the day wheel seemed a little odd to them.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    ...I'm not surprised that they never heard of not messing around w date changes between 9pm and 3am...
    Wait, wait, wait... my understanding was not to use the quick change date mechanism during those hours.

But that's not what they were doing - they were just going back and forth with a time change between 10 and 4, moving the hands to make the date change as it normally would. That's actually the suggested way to change the date on some watches. So unless I'm misunderstanding, it should be fine. Right?
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    Wait, wait, wait... my understanding was not to use the quick change date mechanism during those hours.

But that's not what they were doing - they were just going back and forth with a time change between 10 and 4, moving the hands to make the date change as it normally would. That's actually the suggested way to change the date on some watches. So unless I'm misunderstanding, it should be fine. Right?
    No, they were repeatedly changing the date with the crown in the 10-4 zone.

I spent years doing date adjustments in the 10pm-2am zone on my watches, many of them vintage (ageing from the 40's to the 60's). To be exact it was from 1997-2014 where I did this.

The strangest thing happened in all that time - NOTHING! None of said watches had their performance impacted in anyway. Even when they've needed servicing nothing has had to be replaced (I service my watches when something goes wrong).
    edhchoe likes this.

Seiko also have their day display in English but alternate the day wheel markings with roman numerals so you can set that as an alternative. Sometimes they come in English plus another language, depending on where the watch is intended for sale.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    I spent years doing date adjustments in the 10pm-2am zone on my watches, many of them vintage (ageing from the 40's to the 60's). To be exact it was from 1997-2014 where I did this.

The strangest thing happened in all that time - NOTHING! None of said watches had their performance impacted in anyway. Even when they've needed servicing nothing has had to be replaced (I service my watches when something goes wrong).
    Why did you do this?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information