The art of negotiation & general buying questions

Thread: The art of negotiation & general buying questions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The art of negotiation & general buying questions

(I ran a quick search but didn't come up with anything general, only specific models from semi-specific ADs)

I am in the process of researching (almost decided), saving for (hoping Christmas puts me there) and buying my first automatic timepiece and I was wondering what are some tips from the veterans out there as to tricks for negotiating the best prices.

I know that typically stores will have various sales around the holidays as it is and more times than not while looking at watches the sales person will have a calculator on the counter rambling off a discounted price with whatever sale they are running. These totals have run in the 13-15% off range.

I also know through buying our wedding rings a little while back (or 3+ years back, time flies) that paying in cash usually brings with it a reduced price. We saved 10% (sales tax) by paying in cash for our engagement/wedding bands.

Of course being a known buyer at the store helps, though my family jeweler does not stock either of the two watches I am looking at. I have a buddy who is a regular buyer from his jeweler but this retailer I believe is limited to an AD of high end pieces and carries trade ins and some random pieces he can get his hands on so I dont know if this is an option for me.

Is there anything else out there I am not aware of?

Is there a good way to broach the topic or steer the conversation when I am at the retailer? Let them name the price and any direct discounts, then ask if they can do better, then once they counter ask about paying in cash?

Assuming neither of my current connections work out for the piece I decide on what is the best way to ensure the best deal is had on a piece?

Are their better deals to be had by shopping long distance with an AD? Of course this would rule out the ability to pay cash so the question is would their credit discount be better than a local stores cash discount?

I am going to be paying in cash and for reference in my particular case I am leaning heavily towards the Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic 40mm on bracelet (H32515135) with the Tissot Le Locle Black Dial on bracelet (T41.1.483.53) still in the running.

Lastly, can someone please provide clarification on gray market stores. Are their any stores I should eliminate or consider like authenticwatches.com or jomashop.com, etc.? Are there any gray market stores that still will allow my watch to be covered until the manufacturers warranty?

Banned

Re: The art of negotiation & general buying questions

First, there is no way to guarantee you're getting the lowest price possible. Strike a deal for a price you feel comfortable with, buy the watch, and then forget what you paid for it and enjoy it. When I bought my Breitling I printed a few pages from internet grey market dealers and took them with me. I got the watch for the same price as it was selling on-line for (from the reputable dealers like the two you mentioned), but I did pay sales tax. You won't get a manufacturer's warranty if you don't buy from an AD.

When you get it, post pictures please!

You can avoid the tax if you ask them to ship it out of state. That means you cant get it right away though. It took 2 extra days but I legally avoided taxes on my purchase.
    Last edited by CUSO; November 27th, 2010 at 19:14.
    I CAN AFFORD IT, I AM JUST LOOKING FOR A DEAL!!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the response.

I am starting to scratch my head with the seller timeparadise from eBay. I have watched a number of his auctions for the Hamilton I have been after and they all seem to be ending in the $380 range... even with the $32 shipping fees it is a far cry from the $510 (sold via Amazon.com from Imperial Watches) and the $580 from a local retailer (though I didnt haggle this price). The seller maintains a solid 99.3% rating over 52,400 transactions but it is eBay. Additionally, they offer a 2 year 'international warranty' which judging is hard to tell from the listing exactly what it covers.

To clarify, you're saying that authenticwatches and jomashop are solid bets in the gray market world assuming I am fine with not receiving a manufacturers warranty?

eBay listing that ended earlier for reference: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CUSO View Post
    You can avoid the tax if you ask them to ship it out of state. That means you cant get it right away though. I bough my wifes engagement ring 8 years ago, and tax was $1200. The jeweler asked if I wanted it shipped out of state to avoid it. I had it shipped to my aunt out of state and she sent it to me. It took 2 extra days but I legally avoided taxes on my purchase.

OP - check your PM's.
    Last edited by ulackfocus; November 27th, 2010 at 04:13.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    OP - check your PM's.
    OP check your PM's from me. I need to "warn" you

Follow-up question, (sorry if this is not allowed) but what are the thoughts on dealing with an out of state AD like Toppler (who advertise here)? What can I expect in terms of pricing/negotiating through such a transaction?

Banned

OP check your PM's from me. I need to "warn" you
    Funny! Yes, please warn him that I've helped LITERALLY hundreds of members buy watches LEGALLY.

OP - search both our posts and see who you'd rather have helping you buy a watch.

Mark, here's my personal favorite of yours: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f31/wtt...t=#post3237985.

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Funny! Yes, please warn him that I've helped LITERALLY hundreds of members buy watches LEGALLY.

OP - search both our posts and see who you'd rather have helping you buy a watch.

Mark, here's my personal favorite of yours: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f31/wtt...t=#post3237985.
    Are you suggesting my advice is illegal? It is legal to buy a watch and have it shipped out of state to avoid taxes. I have no doubt you have helped people with watches, but unless people agree with you that you should just buy the darn watch and enjoy it without really paying to much attention to the price then you attack them. I happen to believe pricing is the most important thing regarding watches. While I am open minded and think you philosophy is great for you, you take the road of bashing my philosophy.
    Last edited by CUSO; November 27th, 2010 at 04:54.

Banned

Are you suggesting my advice is illegal?
    Suggesting? No. I'm flat out saying it's illegal. There's no hint of merely a suggestion.

It is legal to buy a watch and have it shipped out of state to avoid taxes.
    Not if you live in the same state it was purchased and then have it immediately shipped back. You are doing an end run around the law.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information