Assistance identifying older Girard-Perregaux watch appreciated

Thread: Assistance identifying older Girard-Perregaux watch appreciated

Assistance identifying older Girard-Perregaux watch appreciated

Greetings, this is my first post, hopefully in the correct forum area.

I just came into possession of this watch today. My mother had it and said it was given to her father for Christmas in 1966 by my grandmother. His initials and 12-25-66 are inscribed on the back. I know nothing about the finer points of timepieces so turn to the experts here and thank you in advance for any additional information others can share about this watch.

I thought I found a similar on ebay, but then realized the numbers had arrows next to them, the hands were slightly different, and the 3 on my watch has the date instead. The auction doesn't mention models anyways, but the band does closely matche what I've got. Girard Perregaux Gyromatic Men's Vintage Wrist Watch to Fix | eBay

Here is a link to a picture I took of the watch I've got. Hopefully a picture is worth a thousand words, but the watch has the GP logo, below the 12 centered with the Girard-Perregaux, above the center of the dial. Half way between the center dial and the 6 is GYROMATIC in caps. There is a 6, 9, and 12 on the dial with the 3 being replaced by the day of the month. The front rim is gold colored and the back and side is silver colored. There's a round face with a gold metal band.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5fs2uhllk1...0Gyromatic.jpg

I've tried this site, but can't find the watch when selecting men's or woman's round face watches:
    Girard-Perregaux watch finder

My mother did have the watch repaired recently, as it wasn't able to stay wound and she was told the following: it needs to be worn at least 8 hours a day to stay wound, to be fully restored it should have a leather band vs the metal one currently on it (which if it came with leather my mother says her dad never used a strap and he would have replaced the leather band with metal) and that the place doing the repairs estimated it was worth around $1300 or so. I don't know if that means the original cost or the current worth. After searching the web I suppose it is even possible the watch currently in my possession was never a real Perregaux, as I can't locate any images that match what I've got. It's possibly my grandmother purchased a fake or even that the repair shop my mother used may have pulled a swap. From my readings on the web it sounds like the back can be opened and a serial or model number should be found, and I could contact Perregaux to verify it is legitimate and possibly even track back the sale to my grandparents (which would be cool). They passed away 15+ years ago, so asking them for info would be a bit difficult.

Thanks...Chris

Name:  Girard-Perregaux-Gyromatic.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  277.0 KB

Your watch is real...

and it looks like a '60s Girard Perregaux. Back then GP made many dial variations of watches so it isn't easy to ID many of them. Yours is probably gold filled or plated since you mention the case back is silver. Typically real gold watches have gold casebacks while plated, capped or filled have stainless backs. We don't really talk value here but the amount you mentioned from the watchmaker seems high, IMO. A nice leather or croc strap would suit the watch nicely with a proper GP buckle. That Speidel twist o flex thing needs to go.

Re: Your watch is real...

it looks like a '60s Girard Perregaux. Back then GP made many dial variations of watches so it isn't easy to ID many of them. Yours is probably gold filled or plated since you mention the case back is silver. Typically real gold watches have gold casebacks while plated, capped or filled have stainless backs. We don't really talk value here but the amount you mentioned from the watchmaker seems high, IMO. A nice leather or croc strap would suit the watch nicely with a proper GP buckle. That Speidel twist o flex thing needs to go.
    Agree. Nice call.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice watch that looks to be in lovely condition! Given its history I think it's more likely to be genuine and original than the ebay watches you are comparing it to. The value estimate does seem rather high unless it is solid gold.
    Last edited by GlennO; May 12th, 2014 at 01:20.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how long these watches would have sat on the shelf back when it was purchased. As it was a present in 1966 I guessed it was made sometime within 5 years of the time it was purchased. Any recommendations on a few good places to scout out the leather band and proper GP buckle? As for the value, I only mentioned it as an additional item to help identify it. Given it's history it definitely is not for sale and will find itself being passed down to my son or grandson eventually:)

What's the likelihood GP would have a record of the watch? Is there registration/warranty type paperwork typically associated with watches sold back then? If there is a chance then I'll have someone open it up to get the numbers.

thanks again..Chris

Thread Information