Atomic
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Atomic

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Atomic

Hi,
    I am looking into different atomic watches and I don’t know much about it, yet. There is no section in this forum about it either.
    I know Citizen is making them, G-Shock and few others.
    What would you suggest me as an atomic watch? Or where could I look to get more info. I don’t trust "Google" for that kind of search and so far I have received huge amount of info here, on another subject.

That said, I want it to be with hands, no digital unless for date and even then, depend the model.
    I won’t ask for any prices because I want to see them, I want to see what’s available and what they look like.

Thanks!

Re: Atomic

"Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Actually Google returns lots of interesting watches on a search for Atomic Analog Watch. So-called atomic watches are really quartz watches with built-in miniature longwave receivers. The receiver catches a 60khz radio signal from the NIST in Fort Collins, Colorado or one from other countries depending on your location. Because of interference and signal propogation your watch will probably only be updated once a day in the early morning. It will try but fail to update several times during the day. You can help the process by storing it near a window on a nightstand.

Here is one interesting and reasonably priced watch from Casio but there are several more. Ask if you have any more questions. Have fun and be sure to post a picture of the watch you choose.

Name:  71foeQONrBL._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  131.7 KB
    Last edited by John MS; December 27th, 2012 at 18:48.
    ken_sturrock and myke like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

PJR

Before deciding on which brand and model you might want to confirm whether you will receive the signal from Fort Collins at your location. Atomic watches are great but not worth much if you are out of signal range. Where are you in Quebec? I'm half an hour west of Toronto and my Casios usually sync but only at night and if left in a couple of places around the house.

Two points about Citizen. I like them however not all of their models have multi-band. Some of the Japanese models receieve in Japan only. Mutil-band will sync in Japan, North America, UK, Europe and China. Secondly, I won't buy a Citizen without seeing it operate. I've seen too many in store display cases where the minute hand is out of alignment with the hour hand.

Thanks all!

I kind of fell in love with the AT8030-18F from Citizen. I really love the numbers on it. As for the reception, I don’t know if it counts for good or bad, but I have a kind of weak alarm on my nightstand that uses atomic reception and it appears to be working pretty much every day. I do work 25km from there and I kind of believe it'll be working too. But I don’t have anything to check if it’s working everywhere all the time....
    It’s pretty expensive but... so beautiful...

Name:  at8030.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  144.4 KB

I live in A and work at B
    Saint-Prosper, QC, Canada à Saint-Georges, QC G5Y 1L3, Canada - Google Maps
    Last edited by argh226; December 27th, 2012 at 22:47.

That Citizen does look nice!

We had an atomic for a while (my wife broke it, heh heh) and it seemed "atomic time" differed by two minutes from "regular time" that our Internet and phone network-connected devices all ran on. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have several great Casios that fit this mold (Protrek 2500T, Edifice, and two Oceanus). I live in Ohio, and all of my atomics are within a fraction of a second compared to my computer times without fail. I have great reception.

Well, the AT8030 (and other AT80x0s) from Citizen is an awesome watch. Even if you don't get atomic reception (I don't, in New Zealand), they're still very accurate watches; my AT8020 last synced in early November and is about 3.5s off GPS now. That comes out to less than 30s/year; not quite HAQ, but very good for ordinary quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUMBA2003 View Post
    I have several great Casios that fit this mold (Protrek 2500T, Edifice, and two Oceanus). I live in Ohio, and all of my atomics are within a fraction of a second compared to my computer times without fail. I have great reception.
    There is one thing that I dont like. These Edifice are all in mineral... they are somehow expensive (for me) and yet, in mineral? A turn off for me... I intend to wear that pretty much all the time and I dont want to scratch it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by argh226 View Post
    There is one thing that I dont like. These Edifice are all in mineral... they are somehow expensive (for me) and yet, in mineral? A turn off for me... I intend to wear that pretty much all the time and I dont want to scratch it right away.
    Mineral crystal isn't *that* scratchable... it's not plastic. Casio go for impact resistance before scratch resistance.

Anyway, the Citizens mostly have sapphires.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information