Attention for the wrong watch...
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Attention for the wrong watch...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Attention for the wrong watch...

I own a watch. One that, shall we say...I would never admit to here. (until now so I can tell this story) It is one I bought specifically to wear to work. As some of you know, I work in construction sales. So I am walking jobsites daily. Showing off demo tools, from drills to jack hammers. I drive a red van, and wear a red uniform workshirt.

So I bought this.

Name:  redshock.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  198.4 KB

Look it matches the truck! and my work shirts, and the tools I sell. I wear it as more part of a uniform then a watch. Don't get me wrong, I like G Shocks, but I am more of an analog Aviation series G shock guy. I would never wear this watch outside of work. Maybe to the gym...maybe.

Here is my point. Since I bought this "Uniform Accessory" I have gotten more "Nice watch!" Comments then I have ever gotten. I just bow my head and mutter "thanks.." and go about my day. I admit that is saddens me that this ugly red monstrosity that I paid $70 bucks for gets more compliments then my Rolex used to get...or ANY watch I have ever had has gotten for that matter.

I should also note, that the people that say "Nice Watch" to me, are the kind (or seem to be) that would proudly wear a 52 mm blingy Invicta with pride...which greatly increases the "icky" feeling I get when I hear "Nice Watch"

Sigh...

What about you, ever get compliments on a watch that you think is a terrible/gaudy/ugly/non WIS/etc watch? Share your story.
    findingnewo, ljb187, Domo and 5 others like this.
    Time is relative.

Re: Attention for the wrong watch...

.........Never in my life......
    I'm giving your watch........and the man who wears it gets.......and an attaboy..
    ljb187, Domo, Deledda and 1 others like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I have noticed color gets compliments, the most I get are for the watches that have orange on them, the more orange the more compliments. The best Rolex I own for this is the Hulk, the green just catches the eye, I think 90% of the people that mention it don'y know it is a Rolex, just a shiny green watch.
    DaveTOG likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You may be getting points for color coordination. That's OK.
    DaveTOG, spidaman and Der Amf like this.

I'm with little big feather on this one. What you've done is both smart and cool. Hope you sell a bunch more tools because of the matching! Wait...This isn't gong to affect how you'll dress when your not wearing a watch, will it?
    DaveTOG likes this.

Yeah, it's the colour that does it. The strap too. As I wrote in my SUN023 review thread in f2, I'd gotten 2 compliments in 4 days on that watch as opposed to 1 compliment in 1 year of wearing Grand Seikos.

If you want to keep up the matching van and G Shock theme never get a job with UPS.

Yuk!
    DaveTOG likes this.

It is a nice watch, those people are right. And the 7900 is an awesome module.

It is not less a 'right' watch to compliment than a Rolex: to each his own.
    DaveTOG, Popoki Nui and ljb187 like this.
    Influence is like the wind...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTOG View Post

What about you, ever get compliments on a watch that you think is a terrible/gaudy/ugly/non WIS/etc watch? Share your story.
    No. I don't buy watches I think are terrible, gaudy, or ugly. I don't think the watch you pictured is particularly beautiful, but it's a watch that's made for functional purposes and odds are it serves them quite well. I'd be the fool were I to compare it with a watch built with "beauty" as one of the main the points of the watch's being.

I may buy non-WIS watches, but I not altogether sure what watch qualifies as "non-WIS" because it seem to me that any watch can be a WIS watch if that's what one is interested in collecting.

All the best.
    Last edited by tony20009; October 19th, 2014 at 02:15.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

There was a "which of your watches gets the most compliments" thread on here a few weeks ago, and just about every answer was something COLORFUL.
    tony20009 and DaveTOG like this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information