Austin Watch - What's it worth?

Thread: Austin Watch - What's it worth?

Austin Watch - What's it worth?

Hi,
    I've had this watch sitting in a box for 35 years - it was a gift from an affluent friend way back when. I searched, and only found one thread where nobody'd heard of Austin.

It appears to be gold (I swore is was marked, but couldn't find a marking now), but the markings are scarce. The clasp for the bracelet is marked "Italy" (woohoo ). Other than that and a decent looking box, I've got no clue.

Is it worth anything? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Re: Austin Watch - What's it worth?

If it's gold it will be worth the scrap value if you are looking for a monetary value. Other than that it will only have a sentimental value.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

WE do not do evluations here on WUS.....and here's why:

Rule #1: 3 things influence the value of a vintage watch: condition, condition and condition. It’s very difficult to assess condition from a photo, hence any online value estimate is a crapshoot.

Rule #2: If you have a solid gold case, add $500 US to the price assessment. If it's encrusted in diamonds and is platinum, it doesn't much matter about the watch part anyway – the scrap value will be higher unless it’s say a Rolex, Patek or Vacheron.

Rule #3: The watch is worth what a buyer will pay for it. There are price lists published, but they assume the watch has been serviced and is in running condition. Any buyer will have to deduct at least $100 US from the price list value if the watch has not been recently serviced. A watch seller will not give you more than 50% of the posted price in any case. Often eBay is the best way to get an idea of what your watch is worth.

Rule #4: Your antique watch is worth far less than you think. They are not rare, even if they are old. For instance Elgin made over 50 MILLION movements. They were built to last and be repaired so a lot of them are still around in various conditions of course. The average price for an 80 year old pocket watch is around $150 US. Of course how do you put a price on something your grandfather gave you when you were 7?

Rule #5. When it comes to wristwatches, men’s are worth more than ladies’ models. Women are not as interested in old mechanical things, and the ladies’ watches are often really tiny - that’s out of fashion today. Besides, the men’s watches of the 30s and 40s are quite small and can serve as unisex pieces. So ladies, go ahead and wear Dad’s old Bulova if you want.

Rule #6: Watches stink as an investment. I bought an 1883 keywind Hampden in 1978 for about $100 US. It's value today? Maybe $175 US. I'm not going to retire on those types of returns. It's a great watch though.

Rule #7: When in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

You may check ebay for references of similar watches. But please do not expect too much. Quartz watches do net sell like hot cakes our days. Probably more of sentimental value.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; December 27th, 2010 at 12:25.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ok, sorry - wasn't looking for an appraisal, just wondering (1) if it was worth *anything* (obviously not), and (2) if Austin was even a company people had heard of... Thanks.

Nothing.

Thread Information