authenticity question

Thread: authenticity question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

authenticity question

Hi. I bought an Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronometer at Tourneaus about 13 years ago. Until last year, i never had it serviced. It was serviced at/through Tourneau. After it was serviced, i got a call and went to pick it up. The watch was significantly lighter - about 1/3 less heavy if not more. when i picked up the watch the first thing i noticed was how light it was.

the lady at tourneau said that they sometimes use lighter replacement parts these days and maybe that was why.

i would like to know how i should look at this. is this anything to worry about or look further into? is there a place where i can send the watch to verify that it is what is was and should be?

Thank you.

Re: authenticity question

It must have been her first day or she's just a twit, find a watchmaker and have it checked out to relieve your
    worries.

While the clerk clearly had no idea what she was talking about, it also seems pretty likely that you're not accurately remembering the weight of your watch. I suspect they could have returned it to you hollow and it wouldn't have lost 1/3 of its weight.

But, yeah, any competent watchmaker should be able to look at it and see if anything shady happened.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That doesn't sound very normal to me. They'd have to replace pretty much everything from lead parts to carbon fiber parts, which they don't do, to make it so light. Something doesn't add up. This is all just speculation, though, so you should definitely bring it to another watch maker. Do you know what they did in the service? Was it a lube job or a full overhall?
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

1/3 lighter is a lot of weight! I'd get it looked at, and please share the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    1/3 lighter is a lot of weight! I'd get it looked at, and please share the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by crampybottoms View Post
    The watch was significantly lighter - about 1/3 less heavy if not more. when i picked up the watch the first thing i noticed was how light it was.
    no kidding, what did they do, give you back a photograph of it?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
    no kidding, what did they do, give you back a photograph of it?

well, all i can tell you is that i had the watch for almost 15 years. it was such a heavy watch. and of course, you get used to what it feels like. the first time i held that watch i immediately felt it was so heavy.

now when i picked the watch up, the weight of the watch was the furthest thing from my mind, but when i picked it up the first thing i thought was how light it was.

thanks for everyone responding here. i am now thinking that it should be possible to find the weight of such a watch on the net or if someone here knows it, please tell.

second, the thing i am most wondering about is if it is even possible/practical/worthwhile to even replace the innards of such a watch in a thieving sense. i wouldn't have thought so until i read a post here, and i only came here because i was researching the weight issue after not being satisfied with the answer i got from the lady almost 2 years ago now.

my omega seamaster chronometer weighs 61grams WITH the leather band on. a fairly good guess as to the bands weight is 10g.

Thanks. i remember when she said it - i was really bummed. the thing i liked the most about the watch was its very weighty feel. but is there anything in that watch worth stealing - is it even practical?

i'm telling you, the watch feels half as light. i said 1/3 just to be not be laughed at. but now that there's some banter, i'm going to tell you it felt half as heavy.

Banned

Is the seconds hand moving in a different way?
    ( thinking- replaced a mechanical movement to a Quartz)

Another explanation is that you maybe wore a heavy watch while your Omega was serviced, and got used to that weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information