Automatic Fossil: Fossil Swiss Line watches
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Automatic Fossil: Fossil Swiss Line watches

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Picture Automatic Fossil: Fossil Swiss Line watches

For the second time in less than a month a popular American mid-range brand, usually known for youth oriented quartz watches, has ventured into the realms of Swiss made automatic watches to create a more upmarket image.

We reported recently on California skate and surfer brand Nixon, which has recently released an automatic watch.

Now Texas based Fossil, which was founded in 1984 by Greek American Tom Kartsotis, introduces what they call the Fossil Swiss Line.

It’s a range of classically styled 3-hander day date and chronograph watches. These are elegantly designed, and at 38mm, modestly sized watches. They feature some traditional hallmarks of Swiss quality including a sapphire lens both on the front and with a show window on the caseback. The watches are powered by a Swiss made 26 jewel STP-1-11 with a 46-hour power reserve. Dials are decorated with numerals and rectangular indexes. The watches come on a full-grain leather strap or a stainless steel bracelet.

The Swiss Line range from Fossil reflects an increasing desire among young upwardly mobile men for higher end watches. The watches will be available globally at Fossil stores and also online. The watches will be priced at around US $1,000 to $1,500.

Fossil owner Kartsotis founded the brand following a suggestion from his older brother that there was money to be made from importing mid-range watches to the States. Today he is among the top 50 wealthiest Greek Americans in the States with a net worth of $400 million, and no doubt the earnest hope is that this new range will swell the company coffers.

Visit the Fossil website
    brrrdn and drhr like this.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Watchuseek.com

Re: Automatic Fossil: Fossil Swiss Line watches

They would have to come up with a side brand or re-name their high end pieces to come close to appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, they are leaps and bounds ahead of Invicta, but $1500 for a Fossil??? Never...

It's still a Fossil. No one is going to pay $1500 to walk around with that word on his wrist. Look at what happened to Volkswagen when they tried to release an upmarket car, the Sirocco. Massive financial loss and they're even discontinuing the thing since everyone knows it may costs the same as an Audi or BMW but ofcourse it's NOT an Audi or BMW. Same principle!
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Fossil makes a modestly sized automatic watch? Who woulda thought...
    I like the design but the price is a bit rich for me...but good on them, outside WISdom Fossil has a huge market and this move might introduce many people to mechanical watches for the first time. They might even give up their quartz clownies.

I'll have to take a closer look in person. $1500 is a lot to ask for a Fossil, but if the movement and the quality is good, why not.

Now my corporate sense is that this cannot realistically sell well given the name and price, but maybe this is just a flagship model to elevate the brand, not really to make money by actually selling the high end watches themselves.

I like a lot of the Fossil designs, so I think this could actually work out to be pretty cool. $1000 for what is probably going to be a ETA equivalent movement, a Fossil design, and hopefully better materials isn't a bad price. I'd prefer something like that to a Movado, which I assume would be the competition (along with Michele).
    Last edited by Protest; February 13th, 2013 at 15:12.
    LJUSMC likes this.

Anyone got any info about this movement? What is the company that makes them? I never heard of it.

They are good looking, for sure, but spending 1k into a Fossil might be too much.

The thing is that the Fossil usual public will not spend 1k in a watch and the people that are willing to pay 1k for a piece are not going to get a Fossil.
    Nothing against Fossil, may that be clear. I do own one.

The best way out for them, like it has been said, was try to make a second, top market, brand. Or maybe the company thinks it's time to upmarket itself and change focus on it's buyers.
    sensejae likes this.

I think that if it sells well enough they'll probably launch a second brand name, but maybe not. They could be trying to elevate the brand, and soon be cutting out some of the lower end quartz models. I think that the target market is kids about to graduate college, who want a nice watch and only know of Rolex, maybe Tag, and then Movado.

There is a metric on the wealth of Greek-Americans?
    Perseus and jtstav like this.
    Influence is like the wind...

I'm interested... at least to check it out. Fossil is poo-poo'ed for making "fashion" watches. But IMHO they're the best Quartz value in town. I'm sure their swiss line will be of high quality if they wish to compete in that market space.

Should be interesting.
    sensejae and RBrylawski like this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information