Automatic/Mechanical or Quartz Appreciation: A True WIS?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Automatic/Mechanical or Quartz Appreciation: A True WIS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Automatic/Mechanical or Quartz Appreciation: A True WIS?

I like both designs on how they tell time. I don't own an auto/mechanical right now and I have Solar, Kinetic, and Lithium powered watches. Ordinary batteries don't appeal to me much.

Don't get me wrong, I like automatics/mechanicals too, especially when I see its back and you could see the escapement/balance wheel in action and you actually supply the power by winding the mainspring. I'm considering getting one in the near future.

I just don't get it when others see quartz movement as inferior to their automatics. Some might even claim their watch is more accurate than a quartz. When arguments like these arise, I tend to side the quartz. That is, long life or rechargeable ones.

I don't consider myself a true WIS yet although I have learned a lot since joining WUS.

Does a WIS appreciate both automatics and quartz?

Re: Automatic/Mechanical or Quartz Appreciation: A True WIS?

Both totally rock.

The End
    mike120 and jason_recliner like this.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

I've got two autos, a solar (Eco-Drive), a Calibre S (which is battery powered but is often referred to as electro-mechanical) and 3 standard quartz.

The true automatics are becoming my favorites as far as collecting but the others all have a purpose and I wear almost all of them regularly.

Breitling Headwind (blue, brushed on Pilot bracelet)
    Omega
    Seamaster Professional Bond (black)
    Tag Heuer Lewis Hamilton Aquaracer Calibre S (#3383/3500)
    Tag Heuer Formula 1 (white dial)
    Hamilton Field Automatic (42mm, leather)
    Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 (2-tone)
    Fossil Speedway Chrono (blue)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

LH2

I think of my Eco-Drive as a quartz. So I own five quartz and one auto, with two more autos on the way. I like 'em all, but it's easy to feel more attached to a mechanical since they need the wearer. Whereas I can toss a quartz in a drawer and ignore it and not feel so bad about it.

That said, it doesn't seem like quartz / eco-drive garner much appreciation on this forum in general. Most of the drooling is happening over one mechanical or another.

Obviously, there's a lot more to this watch/owner relationship than just accurate timekeeping, otherwise we'd all own HEQ and call it a day.

Yes. This thread will be closed if it deteriorates into another trite Quartz vs. Mechanical debate.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; March 14th, 2011 at 15:14.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

For me personally, the main reason I don't like quartz is because they tick - often very loudly - every second. I have tinnitus and I find that constant regular sound very irritating; a mechanical watch running at 5 or 6 Hz is somewhat soothing, and the three that I own are all whisper quite at an arm's length.

In the watch-fiend population as a whole, I think mechanicals have the edge and always will. Machines fascinated people in a way that computers (ie quartz watches) do not. And mechanicals are a link back to a different time, when things were different to how they are now (I was talking to my fiancee last night about how people like old movies and old cars for the exact same reason: they represent a lost time that we ourselves will never know).
    vba likes this.

I think both types, mechanical/auto and all quartz derivatives, have their own appeal. Most of my collection (90%) is composed of auto/mechanical watches, but I do like every watch I own, including quartz. The eco-drive technology is particularly interesting for it's lack of battery replacement, the Kinetics are fun for their Auto quartz mechanism (also no battery replacements). I like their grab & go factor and their precision. What others think about quartz is not very important, if you ask me, if you like a watch, go for it. It's a question of taste and we all have are own...
    ~ Daniel ~

Boy you should hear how loud my 6497 with display back ticks...! I don't hear any ticking sound from my quartz.
    Fan of manual winds and German makes.

Yes, I think to really appreciate timepieces you have to appreciate both. You have to remember that quartz really was a revolutionary technology when it came around, and a lot of quartz based movements (kinetic, precisionist and Eco drive come to mind) still are really amazing bits of technology. That being said the precision required to make an accurate mechanical movement is astounding, and there is something romantic about wearing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Yes. This thread will be closed if it deteriorates into another trite Quartz vs. Mechanical debate.
    As it undoubtedly will.....
    Cheers,
    Mike

My current rotation includes 7 autos, 7 quartz, and 1 manual. I believe divesity is better than linear thinking. While fuel injection is more effecient and reliable I still like carbs just because I can tinker with and tune them.
    LH2 and vba like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information