Automatic, quartz, band, minute repeater, help please!

Thread: Automatic, quartz, band, minute repeater, help please!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Automatic, quartz, band, minute repeater, help please!

I'm thinking of purchasing my first "real" watch and I've gone to several stores and looked at lots of options. My original goal was a square face, stainless band and an automatic but then I came upon these minute repeater watches and I'm a gadget freak and I want one! I know if I was to try to get an automatic minute repeater I was looking into thousands upon thousands of dollars. Actually, if I could get a watch that has a perpetual calender only and being an automatic I would love that too. But for an affordable minute repeater, I've narrowed it down to Jacques Lemans, Invicta, and Bulova. I've been trolling the forums and these watches and it seems like these watches don't have the best of opinion sometimes. I'm leaning towards the JL because, the invicta has a buckle and I hate that and the Bulova it's sapphire. I'm just wondering what your comments would be and what other options do I have?

stuffler,mike

Re: Automatic, quartz, band, minute repeater, help please!

Seiko Premier Kinetic Perpetual with leap year without moonphase indication, otherwise go for GO Karree, Patek Philip, Ulysse Nardin which are quite expensive.
    Chronoswiss is also an option:

Unfortunately all those other brands you mentioned are not within my price range. I'm quite impressed w/ the seiko, it's very stylish and it's everything i want! I'm just a little confused about what is kinetic? Is it the same as an automatic? Is it a smooth sweeping motion? I've been trying to read about movements and it's quite confusing to me. I thought if it's an automatic, it's all the same but apparently not.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I went to an AD and was looking around at various watches. He let me try on and "play with" a Ulysee Nardin Sonata. What a truly stunning watch, and it fit unbelievably well on my 7" wrist. However, I simply could not justify the $50k price tag. Now if I won the lottery...
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

stuffler,mike

(quote from seiko.usa):"Seiko Kinetic is the first quartz watch powered by human movement, a development so significant it led to the application for more than 50 patents. The process uses an oscillating weight that is rotated by the movement of your wrist: this movement is transformed into a magnetic charge, then into electricity, which is stored in a tiny capacitor or a rechargeable battery. A Power Reserve Indicator shows exactly how much energy you’ve created.

*Never needs winding
    *Never needs a battery change
    *Captures and stores energy for up to six months (most models
    *Environmentally friendly"
    (end quote)

Quote Originally Posted by deviate
    I'm thinking of purchasing my first "real" watch and I've gone to several stores and looked at lots of options. My original goal was a square face, stainless band and an automatic but then I came upon these minute repeater watches and I'm a gadget freak and I want one! I know if I was to try to get an automatic minute repeater I was looking into thousands upon thousands of dollars. Actually, if I could get a watch that has a perpetual calender only and being an automatic I would love that too. But for an affordable minute repeater, I've narrowed it down to Jacques Lemans, Invicta, and Bulova. I've been trolling the forums and these watches and it seems like these watches don't have the best of opinion sometimes. I'm leaning towards the JL because, the invicta has a buckle and I hate that and the Bulova it's sapphire. I'm just wondering what your comments would be and what other options do I have?
    If you can wait til August 1, Citizen will have shipped to dealers its new Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater watch. It was previewed earlier this year at BaselWorld. It comes in several different models with either braclet or strap versions. Of course, owing to the nature of the complication, its available only in quartz. A mechanical model would cost thousands. This is a must have watch for collectors. So its not like the above three are your only choices. There's soon to be a fourth available, if you can wait two more weeks for it! B-) :gold

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I don't know how old those models you quoted are but about a year ago, the German watch magazine "Chronos" did an article on the cheapest complications available. The cheapest minute repeater was the IWC Portugieser with minute repeater mechanism.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm having a real hard time trying to decide what I want. I know the gadget freak in me wants something "more" than just a basic watch. I really like the idea of a perpetual calendar but I'm thinking if that's not possible I can always get another watch with something "cool" about it. I would really like an automatic watch that has some character. Like an automatic front skeleton or something. I thought the Invicta Sapphire Skeleton looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure about the quality? I'm also quite confused about the "Automatic movement". There seems to be so many different kinds and the number of jewels. I just want a pretty accurate smooth sweeping motion watch. Can you guys educate me w/ what's the best automatic movement and what other watches you guys can suggest? My dream watch would have these criterias:

1) Metal bracelet (preferably matte, not the super shiny look), if it's leather than it HAS to be a deployment buckle
    2) Nothing too expensive, anything under $2000
    3) Don't want the "Diver" look
    4) I would like an automatic
    5) Something unique about it, perhaps partial front skeleton or... ? But if it's front skeleton, I still want to be able to tell time w/ it
    6) A nice large face, 40mm?
    7) Sapphire Crystal

Thanks!
    Last edited by deviate; July 20th, 2006 at 01:31.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm having a real hard time trying to decide what I want. I know the gadget freak in me wants something "more" than just a basic watch. I really like the idea of a perpetual calendar but I'm thinking if that's not possible I can always get another watch with something "cool" about it. I would really like an automatic watch that has some character. Like an automatic front skeleton or something. I thought the Invicta Sapphire Skeleton looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure about the quality? I'm also quite confused about the "Automatic movement". There seems to be so many different kinds and the number of jewels. I just want a pretty accurate smooth sweeping motion watch. Can you guys educate me w/ what's the best automatic movement and what other watches you guys can suggest? My dream watch would have these criterias:

1) Metal bracelet (preferably matte, not the super shiny look), if it's leather than it HAS to be a deployment buckle
    2) Nothing too expensive, anything under $2000
    3) Don't want the "Diver" look
    4) I would like an automatic
    5) Something unique about it, perhaps partial front skeleton or... ? But if it's front skeleton, I still want to be able to tell time w/ it
    6) A nice large face, 40mm?
    7) Sapphire Crystal

Thanks!
    Automatic watch with complication? For under 2000$?!! Crikey, you' ll be lucky in this day and age, what with watch prices having rocketed over the past few years!

At that sort of cash, the obvious choice is some sort of chronograph with Valjoux 7750 or maybe an ETA 2894. If you throw in a bit extra, you might get a Valjoux 7751 with full calender and moonphase. However, I would be tempted to go for vintage and get a Jaeger LeCoultre Memovox automatic wrist alarm with date. If you pick a Calibre 825, it will even have a bumper winding system, if you enjoy that sort of thing. You can pick them up on internet auction sites like eBay or, if you don't want to take the risk of expensive repairs after getting a cheaper watch, go for someone like Gisbert Joseph (www.joseph-watches.com). There, you can find some alternatives, such as the Omega Memomatic, also an automatic wrist alarm with date (Cal. Lemania 980). Other than all that, you will only get a very small complication for that sort of cash, especially in new watches, such as power reserve, second time zone, basic moonphase, etc.

Hartmut Richter

What does a minute repeater do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information