Automatic question

Thread: Automatic question

Question Automatic question

Just received my Ball Fireman Night Train today! Had a question about the manual winding option. The manual states that "If the watch has not been worn for a long period of time, wind the movement before setting the time. Unscrew the crown to
    position [0], then turn the crown clockwise 20 to 30 times."

I haven't worn it yet, brand new. It is ticking though. So my question is when should you manually wind it? Shouldn't I be able to just put it on and it would start to work from my arms motion?

Thanks for the clarification on my first non quartz watch.

Re: Automatic question

I'd just set it and wear it. Same as all my autos if they're running, and never a problem.
    If I pick them up after not wearing them a while, I just give them a few circular swishes to get them going, then set and wear them.

Josh

If it was shipped to you and spent a day or 2 in transit, it may be nearly run down and might still turn up stopped on your wrist, depending on your level of activity.
    It's not a bad idea with a new auto to let it wind down to a stop whenever this might be convenient, give it a full wind, then let it sit till it stops again.
    Your watch should go roughly 40 hrs. on a full wind and you can check it's "reserve".
    Congrats on your pick-up.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wind it, wrist motion will maintain spring tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    If it was shipped to you and spent a day or 2 in transit, it may be nearly run down and might still turn up stopped on your wrist, depending on your level of activity.
    It's not a bad idea with a new auto to let it wind down to a stop whenever this might be convenient, give it a full wind, then let it sit till it stops again.
    Your watch should go roughly 40 hrs. on a full wind and you can check it's "reserve".
    Congrats on your pick-up.
    Thanks Tragic, sounds like good advice. Maybe I'm missing the point of the winding though. What is the point if your wrist does all the work? Further if I wear everyday and it never sits long enough to go through its reserve, would I ever need to wind?
    Thanks again.

You don't need to wind manually if you wear it enough to keep it running. If you don't wear it enough to keep it running you can wind it manually.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    You don't need to wind manually if you wear it enough to keep it running. If you don't wear it enough to keep it running you can wind it manually.
    So if the watch stops completely, wearing it and moving my wrist won't restart it, is this correct? At this point I'd need to wind manually?

It'll restart if you put it on your wrist but if you take it off again in an hour or so and leave it off it'll probably stop again because it didn't get wound enough. If you put the watch on in the morning, wear it all day and take it off at night it'll run all night off your wrist and then you put it back on again and.....
    The bottom line is you can wind it or not. Your choice. It's an automatic after all. Some autos cannot be wound manually. Yours can.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information