Automatic similar to Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber

Thread: Automatic similar to Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber

Automatic similar to Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber

I stumbled upon the Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber while Google-ing random watch stuff. I absolutely love the styling (cf, orange highlights, overall looks), but was a bit disappointed when I discovered it has a quartz movement. I don't really have anything against quartz movements, but I prefer to own automatic watches where possible. Is anyone here aware of a similarly styled automatic watch?

Re: Automatic similar to Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by G_what View Post
    I stumbled upon the Torgoen T18 Carbon Fiber while Google-ing random watch stuff. I absolutely love the styling (cf, orange highlights, overall looks), but was a bit disappointed when I discovered it has a quartz movement. I don't really have anything against quartz movements, but I prefer to own automatic watches where possible. Is anyone here aware of a similarly styled automatic watch?
    So please keep in mind that if you like automatic 3-hand watches, they're not going to be that much more expensive than quartz necessarily but for chronographs it's a different matter. The price difference is large. Torgoen's prices are a little high if you don't wait out one of their deep discount sales because the T16 (in particular) is Sir Richard Branson's favorite watch and they couldn't buy publicity like that. So the T18's direct competition is typically under $400.

The T10/16/18/30/32 etc. series are all intended as pilot watches to show some similarity to modern pilot watches like the Bell & Ross heritage line and Sinn's models like the 556 and 856. You sitting down? The price for a used B&R heritage chrono is typically over $3,000. Sinn isn't significantly cheaper and in fact Sinn used to make components for B&R. Going however broadly you'd define the look, pretty much any non-Chinese automatic chronograph will be north of $500, most over $1k new.

I share your pain as the 3-6-9-12 is my favorite dial type and the inexpensive options are limited.

If you're not picky, the 3-hand watches and GMT models are cheaper. Keep in mind that Torgoen does have one automatic model, but it uses a crappy Claro Semag CL888 movement and is massively overpriced for such a mediocre movement. They want around $800, and for that you could EASILY buy an ETA-powered watch (the main Swiss workhorse movements). It's also gets you really close to the price of a new Sinn 556, but be aware that watch is *significantly smaller* than the 45mm Torgoen.

I'd also look at the Lew & Huey Phantom, Lum-Tec has a 3-6-9-12 dial, but most versions are quartz and they only do limited runs-- you might have trouble finding the specific version you want used, and the Seiko Automatic Adventure/Land will get you pretty close, but all are 3-hand automatics, no chronos. There's a mod available for the 3-hand Orient Flight, but you'd need to track down a watchmaker to install a dial.

Brands - Lew & Huey - Phantom - Janis Trading Company
    https://lum-tec.com/collections/feat...=9965850329130
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/seiko-prospex-srpa71-land-automatic-watch-review/
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/my-...d-1938817.html
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Wow, that is a lot more of a response than I was expecting. I appreciate all of the information and suggestions. I don't necessarily want a chronograph. I just really like the styling of the T18. Carbon fiber face, large 3-6-9-12 numerals, bright orange accent color. I think it's a wonderful design. If you have any watches in mind that have similar styling, I'm all ears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

None.

Carbon Fiber + 3-6-9-12 + Orange + automatic + affordable is a tall ask.

None of that is inherently expensive on its own, but it is uncommon at the lower price points.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Thread Information