Automatic Watch "break in period"?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Automatic Watch "break in period"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Automatic Watch "break in period"?

If an automatic is initially running fast is it likely to change after an initial "breaking in period"? If so, how long a breaking in period is typical and how much change might occur? My watch is running about 18 seconds fast per day and I'm wondering whether to try to regulate it or just wait and see. Placing it in different positions at night does not seem to make a difference.

Re: Automatic Watch "break in period"?

Quote Originally Posted by submarinerblue View Post
    If an automatic is initially running fast is it likely to change after an initial "breaking in period"? If so, how long a breaking in period is typical and how much change might occur? My watch is running about 18 seconds fast per day and I'm wondering whether to try to regulate it or just wait and see. Placing it in different positions at night does not seem to make a difference.
    If you are hoping for it to be fixed then i say wait a week? If you want to reach a quick conclusion go get it regulated. To be honest it depends on the watch, 18/day isnt that bad. My Tag Carrera does +15 per day, i dont bother to get it regulated

Who told you that a watch has a break in period?

p i t h y
    iam7head likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What's the watch in question? What kind of movement does it have?

I've heard it both ways.
    hayday likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Inactive

Smile Re: Automatic Watch "break in period"?

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    I've heard it both ways.

I've heard people break in to watch dealers to acquire watches sometimes
    iam7head and ladyeclectic like this.

There ain't no sych thing as a break in period for watches. There is a combination of bringing the watch to full wind over a couple of days and the owner getting used to his new mechanical watch and the inherent variability of mechanical watches. Just wear the watch for a couple of weeks. Then set it to time.gov and check the cumulative error after 7 full days. If the average daily error is beyond 10 seconds consider having it adjusted by the manufacturer or authorized dealer.
    Last edited by John MS; October 24th, 2013 at 03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuKalb93 View Post
    If you are hoping for it to be fixed then i say wait a week? If you want to reach a quick conclusion go get it regulated. To be honest it depends on the watch, 18/day isnt that bad. My Tag Carrera does +15 per day, i dont bother to get it regulated
    Yes it is ...my tolerance is +/- 3 sec per day.

Quote Originally Posted by AbuKalb93 View Post
    That's kinda big. My 45-year-old Omega is sitting at maybe +2-3/day after getting regulated. If I got a newer watch that performed worse, I'd get it adjusted, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
    Yes it is ...my tolerance is +/- 3 sec per day.
    Depends, if i got 18/day from my Zenith for example, id be pretty upset. Considering my Tag is non COSC and a simple Valjoux 7750. 15/day isnt the biggest deal. It just depends on personal tolerance. I tolerate depending on how much i pay.
    Regards,
    AK93 (@thejourneguy)

I make my watches as if there was no other way to tell time.
    -François-Paul Journe

The Greatest Watchmaker Alive:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information