Automatic Watch Manufacturers $2,000 - $4,000: Best Materials, Finish & Movements?

Thread: Automatic Watch Manufacturers $2,000 - $4,000: Best Materials, Finish & Movements?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Automatic Watch Manufacturers $2,000 - $4,000: Best Materials, Finish & Movements?

Hi,
    I am still fairly new to automatic mechanical watches and have been shopping via AD’s on the internet. What is difficult to assess over the internet, which is beyond “design” or features that attract you to a particular watch is the materials of construction, fit, finish of the face, case and bracelet and quality of movement used between the companies who market watches in this price range.

On the last point, I realize that they mostly rely on ETA movements, but some buy better grades or modify them internally. I currently have a Ball watch and I was extremely pleased with its quality buying it site unseen. I am interseted in identifying other manufacturers.

Below, I have listed a number of Swiss and German companies that I see discussed on the internet. Its by know means comprehensive. I just placed it within the post to “jog” your memories…

Swiss:

1. Ball
    2. Baume & Mercier
    3. Bell & Ross
    4. Breitling
    5. Doxa
    6. Ebel
    7. Eberhard
    8. Edox
    9. Fortis
    10. Glycene
    11. Longines
    12. Maurice Lacroix
    13. Mido
    14. Montblanc
    15. Omega
    16. Oris
    17. Tagheuer

German:

1. Chronoswiss
    2. Damasko
    3. Limes
    4. Muhle Glashutte
    5. Nomos
    6. Jorge Schauer
    7. Sinn
    8. Stowa
    9. Temption
    10. Tutima
    11. UTS

QUESTION:

Forgeting individual designs or type of watch, which Swiss or German companies are “top” in this price range in terms of the materials of construction, fit, finish of the face, case and bracelet and quality of movement used in your opinion and why?

Thanks,

Bob
    __________________________________________________ __________________

AUDEMARS PIGUET | BLANCPAIN | DAMASKO | GRAND SEIKO | ROLEX

Re: Automatic Watch Manufacturers $2,000 - $4,000: Best Materials, Finish & Movements?

IMO Breitling has some of the best "bang for the buck". They use ETA and alter it to some degree to make it their "own" movement so to speak (Cal 17), though still ETA at the end of the day. Fortis puts in their ETA movements they way it is received, nothing special there along with many of the other watches you have listed. I own a Fortis B-42 GMT and have been very pleased with it and keeps great time. Excellent Fit/Finish, and the small tweaking to the standard ETA movements make Breitling the front runner from your list, again IMO.

Many here will say Omega and I would agree with that as well.
    Last edited by HelloNasty1; January 10th, 2009 at 23:27.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Re: Automatic Watch Manufacturers $2,000 - $4,000: Best Materials, Finish & Movements?

To be honest, all the ones you list have excellent quality. Some may make modifications to movements, but that is something that cannot be answered in a general thread like this. Bottom line, I suggest you look for the *style* you like, and then go with that. The most exquisite and decorated movement is pointless if the watch isn't nice to look at and wear.
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

It all depends on the "style" you are after.
    Some of the Brands you list have a long History, others are newcomers.
    Some of them are IMO overpriced.
    But here is my take for the "better than the other"" brands in each category:
    Swiss: Omega
    German: Chronoswiss, but it is "Swiss Made" I think!

Also, most of the German made watches are using Swiss movements (ETA)

Omega speedy pro moon.

I went for a TAG although alot on here disagree about their quality/price. I tried on several watches many of which you have listed their, the omega wasnt to my taste and the maurice was too big, the buame was a close call but the Tag won.

Quote Originally Posted by liam2051 View Post
    I went for a TAG although alot on here disagree about their quality/price.
    Regardless what people said I think my carrera is just as well built as my speedy.

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana0001 View Post
    regardless what people said i think my carrera is just as well built as my speedy.
    +1
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Omega, Chronoswiss, Breitling, Damasko, Maurice Lacroix.
    -Jarrod

A comment about the Nomos, it is unique because it makes its own design movements.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information