Automatic watch question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Automatic watch question

Automatic watch question

Hi folks, I've just purchased a Tag Heuer Formula 1 automatic and I was wondering if I need to wear it continuous ly for a few days... the reason I'm asking is that I've worn it intermitently (a few hours each day) and within about 12 hours it stops keeping time. Am I not wearing it enough to sufficiently wind up the spring?

Re: Automatic watch question

a few hours per day most likely wouldn't fully wind the watch, it also depends on how active you are, best give the watch a full manual wind first.

you do not need to wear it continuously for days. you dont even need to wear it for a day for it to fully wind.. i have an automatic watch and i wore it about 11 hours (soon as i go for work and remove it as soon as i get home) and notice that in the next morning, it's still up to date with correct time. as for me i think less than an hour would fully wind an automatic, but richerson is right, it depends on how active you are (your arm in that case).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what you're doing. If you run with it it'll wind up really quickly. If you just desk dive it's not winding at all. Walking and chores involving your hands will wind a watch quickly. Mine gains a few hours in power reserve by just making coffee in the morning because I end up shaking and stirring things.

It sounds like you need to give it a good initial winding and then see what happens. If it is a brand new watch, it is going to go through an adjustment period where the movement settles in. I guess I would be surprised to see a watch start up without the initial winding and stay wound if you aren't wearing it much or are inactive while wearing it? Jmho
    Kevin

I would guess that it's not getting enough wrist time. It's hard to put a time on how long it needs to be worn for as it depends on how active you are but about 8 hours per day is the minimum.
    John MS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I would guess that it's not getting enough wrist time. It's hard to put a time on how long it needs to be worn for as it depends on how active you are but about 8 hours per day is the minimum.
    +1
    For the op arm motion moves the rotor and each movement tightens the spring a bit. As you wear the watch the rotor keeps moving back and forth but at the same time the movement continues to run and consumes energy from the spring. Consequently as sticky noted it could take 8 hours or more to attain a full winding. If you are really active constantly walking about it could be done in less.

Banned

An automatic movement may still be wound. Wind it 40 times. If it stops within 24 hrs regardless of amount of wear, I think you have a problem.

Thread Information