Automatic Watch Questions?

Thread: Automatic Watch Questions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Automatic Watch Questions?

Been collecting watches something fierce now for a few months and already got 3 Citizens, a nice Nixon Rotolog, and a couple Invictas (yes I know they have a cult following for loving and hating them, but I personally like them) Ironically this question has to do with a recent Invicta Watch I had purchased. I recently bought a 2299 Ocean Ghost off eBay, and got it for a pretty decent price 66 bucks NIB, except when I got it I could easily tell it had been used before. After a little bit of back and forth with the seller I got a partial refund and kept the watch because even with the small cosmetic imperfections I still liked the watch and wanted it in my collection. This is my first automatic watch, and have noticed it really looses time and stops keeping time very quickly if not worn or shaken. Is this normal for most automatic watches? By quickly I mean like a couple hours. Again I've never owned an automatic watch, just Quartz. I don't know if there is a trick to make it keep time longer if not worn for a short period or longer, if they all usually loose time like this, or if I got a wack watch. (Please spare me the hateful Invicta talk) Some input would be great!
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost....

lvt

Re: Automatic Watch Questions?

Automatic watches generally have about 40 hours of power reserve, you'll need to wear it on your wrist at least 8-12H per day and on your active time, depending on your life style.

You can manually wind the watch by turning the crown clockwise, once fully wound it will run for 40 hours or so, if you only wear the watch from time to time you'll need an automatic watch winder.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

when you say turning the crown, do you mean turning the crown while its pushed in?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Depends on what type of crown. If it is a push/pull crown, then you can wind it while it is pushed in. If it a screw down crown, then you have to unscrew it pull it out 1 click, then wind. I think the Ocean Ghost has the miyota movement, so it will wind. There are some automatic movements(some seikos) that do not hand wind. Good luck with the autos!

Quote Originally Posted by travisdrone View Post
    when you say turning the crown, do you mean turning the crown while its pushed in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAB View Post
    I think the Ocean Ghost has the miyota movement, so it will wind. There are some automatic movements(some seikos) that do not hand wind.
    Miyotas are the ones used in Seikos that don't hand wind.

yeah it is the miyota, its really quite a watch even withi the couple small crystal scratches and bracelet scratches (which im still not thrilled with). I mean I paid 46 for it when it was all said and done.

if interested i watched this video before buying it... im still not understanding lots of the invicta hostility ive seen on threads but I guess to each man his own

YouTube - Invicta 2299 Ocean Ghost II

lvt

yeah it is the miyota, its really quite a watch even withi the couple small crystal scratches and bracelet scratches (which im still not thrilled with). I mean I paid 46 for it when it was all said and done.

if interested i watched this video before buying it... im still not understanding lots of the invicta hostility ive seen on threads but I guess to each man his own

That's a nice looking watch, and the Miyota 8215 can be manually wound
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    Miyotas are the ones used in Seikos that don't hand wind.
    What?!?!?!?

Miyota is owned by Citizen watch company.

Seiko makes all their own movements in house. Seiko has never and will never use a Miyota movement.
    That is like saying Rolex is using Miyota movements.... Ridiculous.

I'm really surprised such an experienced poster who usually does such a good job would make a statement like this.

Not only that, but Miyota Automatics DO hand wind, but don't hack....
    Last edited by sl7vk; December 4th, 2010 at 05:39.
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Banned

When I stop wearing my automatics they keep running for about two days afterwards. That should be the case with any properly functioning automatic.

To each his own. You got what you paid for. If you read the "hostility" threds without immediately attributing this to hostility, you might understand. Poor quality attempting to appear upscale, hardly any own designs, instead shamelessly copying others. We like watches and like to feel that their manufacturers like them as well, and Invicta just appears to be a money-making organisation.

If you like Invicta, you will probably be blown away by Alpha, Parnis, Stührling and other chinese mushroom brands. You get even worse quality wanting to appear even more upscale for even less money! The useability as a watch is somewhat debatable, but as you say, to each his own.

If you like it, that's all that matters.

I think that they are a good price. Other than that, I can't say I like their designs- but this is subjective. I know a lot of my friends would love to have one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information