Is an automatic watch the right choice for me?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is an automatic watch the right choice for me?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is an automatic watch the right choice for me?

I've been wearing quartz since I was a kid and still do.

I've been looking at automatic watches, but I am not sure if I should buy one, based on how I wear a watch.

I do not wear the watch at all on a weekend (or at last most weekends). I do wear the watch to work, but take it off during work hours because my desk job does not make it comfortable to wear a watch.

So, at most, I wear a watch for 4 hours per day (Mon-Fri).

I know that an automatic with a 40hr power reserve is recommended to be worn at least 8 hours a day. So, I do not want to end up with a dead watch everyday.

So is an automatic watch out of question for me?

Thanks for advice.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Is an automatic watch the right choice for me?

Stay with quartz.
    akasnowmaaan and rfortson like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I would stick with quartz but if an auto really appeals then you sound like the ideal candidate for a watch winder.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a Tissot quartz for work and all my other automatics are for play. On occasion I'll wear my auto's to work as well.

Unsure why your desk job doesn't make 'watches comfortable', which leads me to believe that you should research what straps/bracelets actually make a watch comfortable for you. Some go full titanium and the watch is so light you forget you have it on. Everyone is different, but I always recommend any watch person get at least one automatic and a watch winder if they don't wear it often.

Why not wear a watch on weekends? There are plenty of very robust, and reliable autos that can take pretty much whatever you can dish out over a weekend. Plus if you work at a desk, then what's the issue with not wearing a watch. Don't you feel naked? :)

Buy a very cheap Seiko 5/Invicta 8926 if you have funds....consider it a trial....you may find yourself liking it and wearing it more often if not sell it and at least you've given it a go

An automatic is not for you. If you want a mechanical watch,however,there is a simple solution: buy a manual wind watch. One minute every night,before you go to bed and that's all.
    And now, please allow me to say it before anybody else: buy a speedmaster :-D :-D
    Donf likes this.

If you're going to buy a watch simply for the sake of having something on your wrist to indicate the time; stick with a quartz.

Personally, I enjoy mechanical watches (in part) because of what they represent. The tradition, history and "art" of watchmaking all lend to that enjoyment. When one comes to truly appreciate these things, a watch often becomes much more than simply an instrument of time.

I suppose my suggestion is to simply take stock of what you're truly in search of. Only then will the correct answer reveal itself.
    dylanh99 likes this.

When I work with my laptop, metal bracelets aren't comfy for me. Maybe if you try a NATO or leather strap you will be able to wear it longer.

Most people here (including me) feel naked when not wearing a watch.
    If it's not a strap-thing but you feel limited or weird because you have a watch on your wrist... Keep with quartz or get a winder for an automatic. Hand-Wind could be an option as well.

How about a manual-wind one?

Alternatively, like some others have suggested, a watch winder would be very helpful in your case.
    ken_sturrock and Donf like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information