Are automatic watches more accurate when worn?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lysanderxiii

Thread: Are automatic watches more accurate when worn?

Are automatic watches more accurate when worn?

Hi everyone. I just got my first automatic watch (Tissot Le Locle) last Monday. I wore it everyday during the weekdays and noticed that it was going +4 secs/day. I didn't wear it this past weekend. It was just lying flat on my desk and it was going at +10 secs/day.

My question is, are auto watches more accurate when worn? If so, what's the reasoning behind this? Thanks.

Re: Are automatic watches more accurate when worn?

When they are worn, they tend to be on full power reserve, and many watches run most accurate on a full wind. Letting it sit there and wind down, tends to make it run fast or slower than on a full wind.
    Lots of dive watches.

my only automatic runs +1/day on my wrist, and +6 to +15 over a day if left sitting depending on position. Needless to say it gets a lot of wrist time :p
    Seiko Alpinist SARB017
    Seiko Spirit SBCA001
    Orient Black Mako
    Luch 1-Hand

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Isochronism and positional variation both play a part.

A Standard grade ETA can show up to 30 s/d variation due to position and show up to 20 s/d difference between full wind and after 24 hours.
    lvt and CitizenM like this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by calvincc View Post
    My question is, are auto watches more accurate when worn? If so, what's the reasoning behind this? Thanks.

I'm not sure if they are more accurate when worn because it depend on your watch's actual accuracy and your personal requirement, but mechanical watches usually run slower when worn due to your wrist's motion.

If your watch runs +10s/day when left on the table and it runs +4s/day when worn, yes it's more accurate.

If your watch already runs +3s/day when left on the table and it runs -3s/day when worn, yes, it's still accurate to me, but I think most of people would still prefer a positive value, so for them the watch runs SLOW.
    Last edited by lvt; February 6th, 2012 at 13:26.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    I'm not sure if they are more accurate when worn because it depend on your watch's actual accuracy and your personal requirement, but mechanical watches usually run slower when worn due to your wrist's motion.

If your watch runs +10s/day when left on the table and it runs +4s/day when worn, yes it's more accurate.

If your watch already runs +3s/day when left on the table and it runs -3s/day when worn, yes, it's still accurate to me, but I think most of people would still prefer a positive value, so for them the watch runs SLOW.
    What he said.

Thread Information