Automatic watches similar to Seiko Men's SNL036 Coutura Kinetic Watch

Thread: Automatic watches similar to Seiko Men's SNL036 Coutura Kinetic Watch

Automatic watches similar to Seiko Men's SNL036 Coutura Kinetic Watch

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an automatic watch that looks like "Seiko Men's SNL036 Coutura Kinetic Watch" - Image below.

I know nothing about watches, so I'd appreciate any input and am grateful for being able to tap into the brain trust here.

Some notes on my watch envelope are below:
    1. I'm in my forties
    2. I'll be wearing this casually and on a black suites white shirt which I wear when I go to see my clients (typically no tie)
    3. I'm a consumate technologist (engineer) and I'd like to watch to reflect that.
    4. I'm a passionate motorcyclist and I'd like the watch to reflect that
    5. I'm not extravagant in my life style and I'd like the watch to reflect that
    6. I haven't worn a watch in two decades - the watch will not be for telling time (I have a decent mental clock)
    7. I know next to zero about watches
    8. I like stainless steel, black, grey -- I don't like gold
    9. I'd like an automatic movement
    10. If I don't find a substitute alternate I'd l'll but the Seiko SL036 but I don't like the fact that it is a quartz movement
    11. I'd like to keep the price under a $1000
    12. Brand really is not important to me
    13. I'm olive skinned
    14. I'm in reasonable shape (almost athletic)

Thanks in advance for you help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8342.jpg 
Views:	1461 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	1243194
    Last edited by nimofang; October 7th, 2013 at 01:37.

Re: Automatic watches similar to Seiko Men's SNL036 Coutura Kinetic Watch

While I am also in the mechanical-over-quartz boat, I think in this case you've found the watch you want, and the only thing you don't like about it is the fact that it's quartz. There are things about each of my watches, and most of the watches that I want, that I don't like, but the fact is that there isn't always gonna be a absolute perfect-in-every-way watch out there for you. I don't think you're going to find an automatic watch that looks quite like this. I know I've never seen one. If you settle for a different watch that you don't like the look of as much just because it is automatic, I don't think it will tick as many boxes for you as this one.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by BGPT23 View Post
    While I am also in the mechanical-over-quartz boat, I think in this case you've found the watch you want, and the only thing you don't like about it is the fact that it's quartz. There are things about each of my watches, and most of the watches that I want, that I don't like, but the fact is that there isn't always gonna be a absolute perfect-in-every-way watch out there for you. I don't think you're going to find an automatic watch that looks quite like this. I know I've never seen one. If you settle for a different watch that you don't like the look of as much just because it is automatic, I don't think it will tick as many boxes for you as this one.
    Many thanks for your response.

I basically agree with what you've said -- this watch stuck out from all the ones I've looked at.

I asked some friends if they thought it went with me and they said it did (though they could just be being nice) - so yes I think I've found the watch for me.

My post was an attempt at a sanity check - if there was something I was overlooking or missing.

So question: - do I just buy this off of Amazon - I saw in the comments that it does go for as low as $250 - however it is listed for roughly $400 on Amazon.

Thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can only see one on ebay and it's the same price. You won't find anything like it in an automatic, the Coutura/Arctura models have very distinctive designs. The closest I can think of would be a used Ebel Classic Wave Automatic Chronograph or perhaps something from Movado, but they would be much more expensive.
    Last edited by GlennO; October 7th, 2013 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I can only see one on ebay and it's the same price. You won't find anything like it in an automatic, the Coutura/Arctura models have very distinctive designs. The closest I can think of would be a used Ebel Classic Wave Automatic Chronograph or perhaps something from Movado, but they would be much more expensive.
    The only other watch that I found which I think I like more about 1/2 the time is the "Men's Seiko SLQ011 Sportura Kinetic Watch" but it is significantly more expensive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slq011j24.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1243350

Thread Information