Avoidance of heavily-advertised watch brands.
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Avoidance of heavily-advertised watch brands.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Avoidance of heavily-advertised watch brands.

I resumed my watch collection a few months ago after going through a lull period of a few years. I was on a watch spree for the last few months and bought a few watches.
    The watches I bought are from under-radar brands like Sinn and Tudor which most of the non-wis has never heard about.
    I was really tempted to buy an Omega but stopped myself just in time. My gf would definitely notice it due to the strong branding.
    What are some of the reasons why u guys would not buy heavily advertised brands like omega and tag heuer?

Re: Avoidance of heavily-advertised watch brands.

I suppose many WIS crave exclusivity and feel that they are paying for the brand's advertising budget rather than the product itself. How a brand markets itself could also have negative associations in certain circles.
    Last edited by mew88; October 20th, 2013 at 04:58.

The only brand I would consider avoiding due to its recognition would be Rolex, and even then I probably wouldn't let the branding stop me. Most Rolex owners around here have few to no stories about their watches being recognized. I wear an Omega myself, and no one besides fellow watch enthusiasts notice it. Some of my closer friends know how much I spent on it, but I can guarantee you that the majority of my friends wouldn't be able to tell you what kind of watch I wear. Even if they noticed, I wouldn't care - I love watches, and I don't care who knows that! Lots of people have hobbies and interests they spend lots of money on, and there's no shame in that.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't think of any reasons. TAG Heuer and Omega wearer here. Both beautiful, high quality watches that make me feel a little better about the world every time I look at them. I like Sinn and Tudor too, don't get me wrong. But not buying something because of advertising is still buying because of advertising. Buy what you love.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    I suppose many WIS crave exclusivity and feel that they are paying for the brand's advertising budget rather than the product itself. Public brand recognition could also be bad in certain circles.

Yup. Not just a WIS thing, something I seem to do around other hobbies / lifestyle stuff as well.

Sinn and Tudor are definitely not under the radar brands, especially here.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkingTime View Post
    Sinn and Tudor are definitely not under the radar brands, especially here.
    Where in Canada are you located? Here on the east coast I think they'd definitely be under the radar, since apparently my Omega is! :P

EDIT: I hope that doesn't sound like I'm saying Omega is "above" Sinn or Tudor somehow, because that wasn't my intent: I'm just saying it is a generally more widely advertised brand, IMO.
    Last edited by BGPT23; October 20th, 2013 at 05:22.
    Sent from my bathroom using [email protected]

I won't discount a brand just because it is heavily advertised though, you should know in Singapore even Patek advertises on the papers
    iam7head likes this.

Omega and tag heuer are widely recognised in Singapore. Even my non wis friends know about them. If I buy an Omega, my gf would nag at me non-stop. She would know I spend a bomb on it and my watch collecting would be more scruntised. Would gladly own an omega if I get the chance to. Love the new co axial movement!

If anything popularity (or unpopularity) on WUS is what'll cause me to look at a brand with a more questioning eye. Going with the crowd is still going with the crowd and that always causes me to consider what my motives actually are. That's not a bad thing, in fact it's a helpful thing, but it is a thing,
    Seiko Spring Drive was my wedding watch, Rolex Datejust was my anniversary watch, but I call Oris home.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information