Avoiding the rabbit hole of a rotation
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Avoiding the rabbit hole of a rotation

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Avoiding the rabbit hole of a rotation

Name:  seiko.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  2.82 MB

Despite having bought numerous watches over the past few years, and almost always selling them on, I have somehow managed to avoid going down the rabbit hole of a rotation.

I like to wear one watch for longer periods if I can and to properly enjoy it and get used to the good and bad parts. For me, wearing a different watch every day somehow lessens the appeal of them and almost dilutes the reason for wearing one in the first place.

You have to feel an emotional connection to a watch and you don’t get that with sporadic wear.

The problem for people like me, who really do like watches and all of the technicalities and emotions that come with them, is that there is always something new to try or a new model that catches the eye. I have looked at vintage watches and love the idea of wearing a classic piece for years on end, but that would end my hobby in an instance if I really did fall in love with it.

And so I am stuck between wanting one watch that I can wear for the rest of my life and which will only become more important to me as time goes by and the idea of constantly trying new things in the hope that one will stick.

I realise that no watch will likely stick with me because there is no such thing as a perfect timepiece and so the quest is fruitless, and merely an expense that is at times not justified. I also realise that I am likely to continually try new watches and sell the previous one on purely because I do not like having a collection of watches that do nothing. That just doesn’t feel right to me for some reason.

At the moment the Seiko SRP775 is back in favour and I am enjoying the many aspects that make it such a firm favourite in the watch community, but who knows what next week with bring.

So, do you rotate? Do you buy and sell and stick with one watch for periods of time or do you have a massive collection that you get much joy out of even if some of the timepieces only get occasional wear? I am curious as to your motivations and practical reasons for the way you use your watches?
    Heljestrand, anaplian and cman1120 like this.
    Shaun McGill
    Snowflakes & Shields
    -- Obsessed with time --

Re: Avoiding the rabbit hole of a rotation

I completely agree with you. I avoid rotation as well, which is why I endeavour to keep my collection to a manageable 40 or fewer!

Yeah I rotate, a fair bit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rotate every day, and on days at home several times a day!!

New watches tend to hang around for a few days to gain that attachment.

For me variety is the spice of life and although I appreciate the lure of a small collection I am never gonna get there in the near future.
    liwang22 likes this.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

I've got my 12 favourite watches in my primary box which all get rotated fairly evenly, and almost 20 more in another box which never get worn but I still enjoy them all as keepsakes. I usually wear each watch for a few days at a time before swapping it for another.
    I really respect the idea of wearing one watch for life and I've been tempted many times to pick one which would suit all occasions and stick with it. I've met quite a few people who have worn the same watch for decades and they do tend to have a special attachment to it far beyond the monetary value of the watch, which does make me a little envious because unfortunately I enjoy watch collecting too much to ever be a one watch, or small collection person. I've decided to stop fighting it and trying to justify it, sometimes you just have to accept that a large useless collection is what works best for you.
    vesire, maylebox, TeeRite and 1 others like this.
    Jaeger LeCoultre, Rolex, IWC, Omega, Breitling, Zenith, Longines, Tag Heuer, Rado, Seiko, Casio

I rotate, every day different, but i also have a psychical mostly barier of having too many watches,around 10 is the limit.
    I do enjoy puting a watch considering clothing, weather, environment.
    I was recently only buying, but that could not continue so started flippin.
    I have a keeprs, but with selling and buying new, i can continue the hoby and check more pieces, i do not want to stick with 1 watch for entire life, or 3 or 5..
    Diversity makes the difference, and curently this is the thing im in to (only one - watches) and i do like to explore more, BUT
    with this i feel like i loose something the feels, more trilling is the hunt to finds something for your pocket and to be pretty, or as my self i like to build my watches, homages if you like, the time for hunting the parts, making the assembly, then the good feeling somehow started to decrease.
    I do love what i have and build but sometimes mostly stays unworen, just like to watch and wind them, but don't like the idea to be like museum, its not for me.
    So this rather new stage for me, i like rotation (ofcourse when something new have a few days ), otherwise getting bored.
    Im spending most time on forums, reading, browsing, i lost love for many brands because of too much info or post.
    I ve gained love for other, taste starting to change and form... its good to have a little thrill, i can not stay with 1 watch how ever good or expensive it is,
    or the time did not come yet.
    Last edited by vesire; February 21st, 2018 at 13:36.

I don't follow a specific schedule to rotate, I can wear a watch for few days and rotate, and sometimes few weeks; all comes down to what I feel like and what i miss.
    Tanjecterly likes this.
    In order I have obtained
    > Seiko Chronograph SNA013P The Great Blue l Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL Rosso Corsa l Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue Monte Carlo
    Seiko 5 SNXF01K1 Silver Fox l Seiko 5 - SNKP21J1 Middle East Edition l Longines Heritage 180th Anniversary Chrono
    Omega - Speedmaster Pro Project Alaska l G-Shock - G-9000MX-8 Mudman l Seiko Prospex SRPB51J1 Samurai
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 Peacock l G-Shock GMWB5000GD-9

My Reviews: Eulit Perlon Strap / Tudor Rubber Strap - Vanguard

I have four automatic watches. I rotate, but the rotation involves wearing a single watch for either two or three weeks straight before moving on to the next watch. I never wear a watch for less than two weeks. I don't want any more watches right now, but I may add a JLC MC or Zenith down the line. I don't sell watches. When I buy an automatic, my intention is to it keep it forever. Fortunately, I only find a small number of watches appealing to me, so I don't really have a strong urge to buy a lot of different watches.
    Last edited by Rick5; February 22nd, 2018 at 01:37.
    Heljestrand likes this.

"For me, wearing a different watch every day somehow lessens the appeal of them and almost dilutes the reason for wearing one in the first place. You have to feel an emotional connection to a watch and you don’t get that with sporadic wear."

I don't agree with this at all. I have one watch that I have owned my entire life--a hand me down pocketwatch which has been in the family for four generations--I love it, and still use it (in classrooms, during lectures, on the podium in front of me)--definitely an "emotional" connection--BUT, it goes nowhere else, and is used at no other time, except for an occasional meeting. I have a small wrist watch rotation consisting of four watches--two have been with me for 12 years, one for eight, and the newest, just one (and not looking for any more). I wear one for several days, enjoy it immensely while doing so, and look forward to taking the next one out for a spin--connected to one and all equally--no diluted, lessened appeal, in fact, just the opposite--they're all great, they're all different, and they all contribute to a nice diverse approach to life.
    Carl.1 likes this.

Some guys are able to find that constant companion timepiece and stick with it primarily for the long haul. I fancied the idea but I haven't had much luck accomplishing it and perhaps it should happen organically rather than with effort.
    Berty234 likes this.
    MIKE

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information