B&M Hampton help!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By catlike

Thread: B&M Hampton help!

Confused B&M Hampton help!

I just bought a Baume and Mercier 8818 Hampton Automatic. It's an absolutely beautiful watch, and my first rather expensive one. Aside from a couple of Invictas that I have gotten on sale, I've stumbled into the wonderful world of watches like a newborn fawn. Please forgive and correct me on any misused or incorrect terms that I fumble with.

Okay, so on this 8818 is an alligator leather strap. The deployment buckle did take me a minute to figure out, but once I got that, I noticed something else. The little horn attached to the clasp that I think is supposed to go through the hole will absolutely not fit in the hole.

Name:  claspband.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  204.1 KB

Larger image here: http://i.imgur.com/AELtS.jpg

The horn is L-shaped and just getting the first part of the L before the bend into the bands's hole looks like it's putting some serious stress on the band. Am I doing it wrong? Or do I really need to just crank it in there once and use the deployment buckle from then on? I really don't want to hurt that beautiful alligator leather. I can try to provide video if my explanation was confusing. Please help! Any advice is appreciated!

Re: B&M Hampton help!

Corey,

Welcome aboard! Congrats on the watch. Give us somemore photos when you get the chance. WRT to the L-shaped pin...I wouldn't use the term "crank" but yes, it is designed to work its way into the strap hole, and it stays that way...you just use the deployant buckle. It may take a little elbow grease. I actually like that pin design...very secure. If you are having problems, or are uncomfortable, go to your local high end jeweler with a watchsmith and ask for a bit of friendly help. They should be more than welcome to be of assistance. Congrats again. We'll wait for photos. Good luck.
    Last edited by Roller.959; February 4th, 2012 at 03:21.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

I have the same strap & clasp on my 8752.

Feed the strap through to the position you want then push the "L" into the hole from a vertical position on the outside of the strap so the flat part of the "L" sits flush on the inside of the strap pointing back towards the tail. You are right, it is tight and needs a good push, it will deform the hole a little but it will sit under the clasp so you'll never see it. Just try and pick the right hole the first time. You will appreciate the tight fit, had mine for 4 years now.
    Corey Shaughnessy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, guys! Especially catlike! Wow, that was nerve racking. Yeah, just had to work that first part in and give it a couple of firm tugs and it worked its self out! Here are some pics. I'm uploading a youtube video so you can see the skeleton movement. I was so shocked when I first saw that. I had no idea watches moved so quickly! It's pretty mesmerizing.

Name:  IMG_20120203_203843.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20120203_203853.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  102.6 KB

And brief video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnrZbDyFzs
    Last edited by Corey Shaughnessy; February 4th, 2012 at 04:01.

Cool!
    I like the Hampton range because I think they suit every occasion.

Here's a photo of mine that I took in a cheap light box I bought:

Enjoy your new watch

Thread Information