B&R as Daily Wearer
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: B&R as Daily Wearer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B&R as Daily Wearer

Hello All - I have never posted on this forum, but have read a lot of your posts, great info for sure. Am looking for opinions on a specific topic:

For 20 years I have worn a standard Seiko divers watch. This to me is the Toyota Avalon of watches; dressed up to seem premium but not truly a "premium" car... instead a relatively affordable vehicle, prized for reliability at reasonable cost. No shame in that; the Avalon and the Seiko do their jobs well.

I've gone through two such Seikos (they last about 10 years) but I'm getting tired of them. My plan is to shift to a Bell&Ross BR03 in steel case. (I know there is some love and hate out there on this watch; not looking for more of that discussion... I am firmly in the "love" category.) But as I get ready to make the shift I'm realizing my Seiko has been a really good daily-wearing watch.

What I'm starting to ask is, does the B&R 03 in steel case work well as a daily wearer? And in particular, is it durable and dependable in real-world situations....

- I will hike and fish with it; so it needs to get dipped into water and bumped against a rock now and then. Maybe occasional swimming.
    - I will rely on it to be luminous (as I travel often, in many time zones and with terrible vision; so I sleep w watch on to check the time at night)
    - Need/expect the rubber strap to last for a while
    - will be exposed to normal hot and cold, being left in the car, humidity /dirty environments, etc.
    - Sometimes I'll wear something else for a few weeks; it needs to endure lack of use sitting on a shelf.
    - Is their service/warranty of any value?

I am not planning to join a french swat team or dive to the ocean floor. I just like the look, and need to rely on this thing in more pedestrian situations. If I buy this watch that looks like an army tank, and pay $2 - $3k for it and then its not reliable, my wife will make fun of me forever.

Please advise with any comment on the reliability/durability of this watch in this kind of practical use. Any input appreciated...thanks in advance

Re: B&R as Daily Wearer

I think the B&R will do fine an a daily watch, but abuse and repair will result in higher costs of course. I think you are incorrect in the thought that $2-3K buys you a vastly tougher and more reliable watch than the Seiko you are used to. It may look like a military watch, and will probably do fine with some "adventure", but it won't be a superior performer to a sport Seiko in regard to abuse.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

Quote Originally Posted by islands62 View Post
    I think the B&R will do fine an a daily watch, but abuse and repair will result in higher costs of course. I think you are incorrect in the thought that $2-3K buys you a vastly tougher and more reliable watch than the Seiko you are used to. It may look like a military watch, and will probably do fine with some "adventure", but it won't be a superior performer to a sport Seiko in regard to abuse.
    Yes I get that it, I don't hope for it to be super-watch or live through abuse really. "As good as the Seiko" would be good enough; and no small compliment.

When I see these watches online in videos, I see people handling them with white gloves. It makes me laugh!...I'm sure that's standard practice, but the real world is somewhat more difficult...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a B&R Br01-92 for many years, and it was extremely well made, very tough, and kept excellent time.

Im sure it would cope with all you have mentioned with ease, it's 100m WR, as far as I remember, so no worries there either.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by bill.taylor.72 View Post
    If I buy this watch that looks like an army tank, and pay $2 - $3k for it and then it's not reliable, my wife will make fun of me forever.
    Love this sentence.

In all seriousness, as mentioned you're not in the swat team or diving to the ocean floor, I think the watch will hold up fine!
    Bulova 96b213
    Seiko 6138-8030
    Oris Aquis Clipperton
    Vostok Amphibia 090914
    Tissot Couturier Small Second

Greetings, R I have a BR01 which I wear most Fridays and most weekends for over 5 years and it looks great after all this time, I wear it on their supplied nylon, rather than the rubber strap, way comfier and it really sits well, not discolored from being close to body and other than 2 really small light spots around the bezel it's maintained a uniform darkness. It's accurate for the type, then again mine has no second hand, or hands. I couldn't find anything with the same look that was as satisfying to wear/look at but if I had to chance to do it over again I'd probably get the br03 GMT in steel or it's larger cousin

It dealt with 110+ deg F days in AZ but I'd not leave it in a car here, or any mechanical watch I cared about. Most watches I've had have an operating range less than a car interior on a really hot day so I don't risk it. It's never required service, feels great and from all the models I've seen of the type, new or used, I can't see what that one wouldn't hold up as well as most tool auto watches in the price range.

I had a B&R BR123 Vintage that I still have fond memories of. It was my daily driver for 5-6 years and took some abuse in that time, dropped it a several times on hard floor tiles but it kept right on ticking to +5spd throughout. That's as much a testament to the Eta movement inside as it is to the B&R itself.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 114060, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

I have a br 03-92 diver. It is, perhaps, the most comfortable watch I’ve ever owned. It fits the top of my wrist like a glove and doesn’t move or shift at all throughout the day. The rubber strap, which I intended to swap out right away, is extremely comfortable, conforming, pliable and well-made. I’m very impressed with the strap, and I get the impression that it’ll last.

Overall, for me it’s a great “daily wearer”. The one area I’m still unsure about is its ability to be hand-wound/stored for a week. I mean, the pr is decent and the rotor keeps it wound, but the manual states there’s no clutch to prevent manually over-winding the watch. You asked about it sitting on a shelf for a week? The power reserve ain’t gonna make it, so you’ll either have to set, wind to get running, wear after a week or try to keep it topped off without “overwinding”. The manual is pretty vague on this whole topic, and honestly...I haven’t looked into it. It’s hard to believe there’s no clutch to prevent manual over-wind, but it may be something to consider.

Anyway, to continue....accuracy matches my cosc, it’s dead-nuts. Overall, the watch feels extremely robust and solid. Crown action is responsive and fluid, with little to no slop and winding is buttery smooth. Bezel is tight, fit and finish are superb. I absolutely love this watch, to the point I can say it’s my favorite so far....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Based on the positive feedback here (and the fact that I loved the watch) I pulled the trigger and the watch just arrived yesterday. I went with the BR03-97 in steel. Very happy with the purchase. Thanks again-Name:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  1.95 MB
    Zeroedout likes this.

I thot I had found the buy of a lifetime.
    A B&R for $1,500.00. Researched and it
    is a FAKE. If price sounds too cheep then
    it's most likely a knock off. But they had
    me goin for awhile. Crown was red!!! That
    set off bells n alarms. Never saw a B&R
    with a red crown. No B&R emblem on the
    strap!!!

X Traindriver Art

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information