Back from cruise - some observations
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Back from cruise - some observations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Back from cruise - some observations

Its nice to be back home. Our cruise ship went to Aruba and Curacao. They are close to each other in the Caribbean, just above South America, Venezuela. I missed not getting onto WUS. I felt like such a watch nerd on the cruise. Many women will turn my head, but for the first few days I was only focused on the watches people were wearing. That is a WIS for you.

First I will say it appears that big watches are really in. I know I like them big, but it was kind of shocking in Aruba, which has many very upscale jewelry stores, at the percentage of large watches on display. Lots of cruise ships stop there so I imagine these large watches are selling.

I didn't see too many people on the cruise ship with bold watches like I enjoy wearing. One fellow had a very large, yellow plastic watch with yellow band. Awful looking. I could see his watch approaching at 75 yards. I don't know what he looked like but I could draw you a picture of his watch. That is a WIS for you. A few others had unusually large or attention grabbing watches, but not many.

I only took one watch for personal reasons - my Tissot T-Touch, to see how good it was to travel with. It was a very decent travel companion. I used the alarm to get up early, the temperature gauge the first couple days to set the air conditioning for sleep, and for the first few days I used the compass to orient me on the ship - that was a surprise. But I was mortified not to have something wild and crazy to wear although I took some consolation in a comment to me that my Tissot looked very impressive. But I'm glad to get that Tissot off my arm and wear something more colorful.

The shopping for watches on Aruba was excellent with a great selection of JLC, Breitling, Maurice Lacroix, Roger Dubuis, Carl Bucherer, Zenith, TW Steel, Panerai, IWC, Girard Perregaux and many others. It was my first chance to play with a Roger Dubuis diver chronograph and I was blown away. I am now thinking what to get rid of to make room for that.

EDIT 2/19: Just pulled the trigger on a mint Roger Dubuis from overseas. Including Fed and State import duties/taxes, best price I've seen. Now committed selling something expensive.

And I found a very bold quartz chronograph that I will probably buy here in the states. Made in Italy. I've always been disappointed in quartz chronographs because all counters don't return immediately, like a mechanical chronograph. I recently found out that some do, I've just never found one in a style I liked. But this one does. I will post the obligatory pictures when it arrives.

Nice to be back. Missed you all.
    Last edited by Gary123; February 19th, 2013 at 19:58.
    marchone, CitizenM and jtstav like this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

Re: Back from cruise - some observations

Welcome back Gary! Glad you had fun

It sounds like you had a nice time Gary. I wonder how useful the compass function was on a vessel that can routinely alter its direction of travel? I understand what you mean about wanting to get back to some watch variety. Aside from the obvious reasons of wanting to see my wife and dog, one of the most looked forward to events on a long trip is finally returning to wear a different watch.

And, do let us know about that quartz chronograph - you have piqued my interest.
    TimeSaver and Gary123 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My wife always notices me watch-spotting. As my WIS-dom increases, it only gets worse. Walking through the luxury-store end of the mall always has my head on a swivel, but not for the women, for the watches.

Looks like you had a great time, Gary!

I'm taking my family on our first cruise this Oct (Carnival) and hopefully, we don't run into the recent Carnival disaster (sea-stranded!) .

Other than that, really looking forward to checking out the duty-free watch offerings on foreign ports.
    Current Rotation: || Tag Aquaracer Polar Caliber 5, Casio PRW6600/GW2310, Suunto Ambit 3, Apple iWatch 3 ||

Banned

Cruises to south america seem quite popular with our WIS cousins on the other side of the Atlantic. A i can see why - the warm weather, watch hunting for bargains, a romantic latino fling...

Quote Originally Posted by SSingh1975 View Post
    Looks like you had a great time, Gary!

I'm taking my family on our first cruise this Oct (Carnival) and hopefully, we don't run into the recent Carnival disaster (sea-stranded!) .

Other than that, really looking forward to checking out the duty-free watch offerings on foreign ports.
    Are you doing a Caribbean cruise from California? Its fun for everyone. Carnival is probably the best if you have children. When my son was young he loved the Carnival cruise. Never wanted to leave the kids room, forget about going ashore.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

On a side note I've only cruised once on Carnival and the food was mediocre at best.
    Gary123 likes this.

I knew I forgot something.

Welcome back Gary. A week without WUS would be difficult. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I've cruised a couple times on Royal Caribbean and I always enjoy the WIS watching ship board, and playing in the Duty free shops. I've found the watch deals not that great, so it's fun to play and then come home and buy if you find something you really like. It will be fun to see what quartz piece you've set your sights on!
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information