Back Pressure = Bad: Myth or Fact?

Thread: Back Pressure = Bad: Myth or Fact?

Back Pressure = Bad: Myth or Fact?

I've been a mechanical watch guy for a long time, and I was told way long ago that turning the crown counterclockwise while in set position on a mechanical is bad for the movement.

Is this true? If so does it apply to some movements and not others, and if so which ones?

I've always set my watches forward and never backwards for this reason, but I don't know much about the technical aspects of movements so I don't know if I'm blindly following a myth. I've been forced to do it to synchronize non-hacking movements, but again I try to avoid that out of fear of causing damage.

Re: Back Pressure = Bad: Myth or Fact?

I was told that I should set my auto by moving the hands past the target time & turning the hands back to set it. The procedure was reversed for a quartz.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Back Pressure = Bad: Myth or Fact?

I've been a mechanical watch guy for a long time, and I was told way long ago that turning the crown counterclockwise while in set position on a mechanical is bad for the movement.
    On older movements, before quick date change was widespread, the recommended way the set the date was to run through 12 then backwards to 8, then back again, repeat until the proper date was seen in the window.

So, at one time, the manufacturers actually told you to turn the movement backward. The basic way a watch works hasn't changed since then. You should not damage a movement by turning the crown backward.

I was told that I should set my auto by moving the hands past the target time & turning the hands back to set it. The procedure was reversed for a quartz.
    That all depends on where the cannon pinion is located in relation to the setting wheel, and how much backlash there is in the gears. An ETA 2824 should be set in the clockwise direction, an ETA 7750 anti-clockwise. There is nothing that will hurt the movement, it is just to take up the backlash in the gear train.

Thread Information