WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Bad time to lose your watch

1K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Average_Joe 
#1 ·
Have an interview today, suit and tie kinda deal. Drove to the airport, got out of the car, put on my jacket and gave my left arm a little shake to settle my sleeves.

Heard a smack, and looked down to see my Maurice LaCroix Aurea lying in two pieces on the pavement. Leather strap came unattached at the springbar and now I have a watch and a case back sitting in my car. Now that I look closely the leather was well worn and the glue appears to have given. Manufacturer strap. Watch was a gift from my dad when he downsized collection, I don't have occasion to wear it often, and I clearly didn't examine the strap well enough before I put it on this morning.

Now I'm sitting in the airport about to board and Ive actually been considering (half-seriously) asking how much the guy sitting next to me wants for his Explorer 1 lookalike.

Anyone else have a story of losing your watch at a really inopportune time? I feel naked :(

#2 ·
Have an interview today, suit and tie kinda deal. Drove to the airport, got out of the car, put on my jacket and gave my left arm a little shake to settle my sleeves.

Heard a smack, and looked down to see my Maurice LaCroix Aurea lying in two pieces on the pavement. Leather strap came unattached at the springbar and now I have a watch and a case back sitting in my car. Now that I look closely the leather was well worn and the glue appears to have given. Manufacturer strap. Watch was a gift from my dad when he downsized collection, I don't have occasion to wear it often, and I clearly didn't examine the strap well enough before I put it on this morning.

Now I'm sitting in the airport about to board and Ive actually been considering (half-seriously) asking how much the guy sitting next to me wants for his Explorer 1 lookalike.

Anyone else have a story of losing your watch at a really inopportune time? I feel naked :(
I am just nerdy enough to pack a spare watch, so that's one headache I haven't experienced. However, as problems go, that one sounds like something you can cope with. Sorry about the watch though.

Will

#3 ·
Man, wish I had done just that - brought a spare.

And yes, it's not insurmountable haha, guess I'm already pretty excited about the interview so even things like this are magnified. I would like to be wearing a watch, but I'm sure most people won't even notice.

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that, hopefully the watch is ok. However, try to stay focused on the interview and understand that the interviewer won't notice a missing watch. Yes, I had an Omega Seamaster drop on the pavement from the window of a moving car. It survived with a separated strap and broken crystal.

#6 ·
Sorry to hear that! I always travel with at least two watches. I generally never even put them on until I'm through airport security. Even with just one watch what happened to you given my home airport ,it would have fallen on carpet in the seats by the gate. So all I would need is a new strap.

#8 ·
It's hard to imagine your concern, as it's irrelevant to the purpose of your trip. Regarding the job, best wishes to you. The watch: put priorities in their place.

Reactions: akasnowmaaan
#9 · (Edited)
It's hard to imagine your concern, as it's irrelevant to the purpose of your trip. Regarding the job, best wishes to you. The watch: put priorities in their place.
I don't think this thread has anything to do with the OP's priorities being misaligned. He wears watches regularly; now his is gone and he feels naked. To me this is completely understandable. All he wants is a story of when ours went MIA at an undesirable moment (which to me is any moment your watch goes MIA).

Now if TGE were to say "my watch is gone and I'm catching another flight so that I can replace it before the interview", then I would agree with you.

As for my story; I was visiting relatives abroad and staying at an aunt's house. Right before we go out to a big family dinner (30+ people), the Swiss Army watch I had planned on wearing, disappears. Now, I'm staying visibly calm but my younger sister knows me well enough to know that I'm really flipping out inside and not happy at all. The house goes a buzz that one of the maids might have stolen it, which is a conclusion that I don't like to jump to. Right before my family drags one of the maids into the bedroom to begin their inquisition, my uncle walks in and tells us that he saw my watch on the guest-room night stand and put it in his safe.

Alls well that ends well…

#10 ·

Sorry to hear that but dont stress about the watch and mess up your interview.

I am sure the interviewer wont care that you are wearing a expensive watch.

If you really need to wear one get a cheap one at the airport.

#12 ·
That sucks.

Sneak off to a watch place and pick something up before your interview? Not to use this as an excuse to buy another watch, but you do want to be on time. "My watch broke" kind of sounds like "my dog ate my homework", you know?

#14 ·
Ouch, that's a bad beat for sure...

As others have declared, good luck in the interview! It's not, I can only assume, an interview in a watch related venture?

Dan

#21 ·
No, not watch related. Would have been an interesting story to kick things off if it had been.

Oddly for me, and probably all of us on this forum, I didn't even notice what watches if any the people on the panel were wearing. Pretty sure the two women didn't have watches at all, but not even 100% sure on that. I was in the zone.

#20 ·
I often think about this scenario...even now with a modest collection of a few pieces worth a couple of thousand each, I often think about what might happen if one went missing.

the ultimate conclusion, and the overwhelming life motto I live by is 'see a need, fill a need', and think i'd probably buy a replacement, not that I have thousands to throw around, but - I could be pushed to find some resources.

#23 ·
You can always sell a kidney.
2 at most I believe.
I often think about this scenario...even now with a modest collection of a few pieces worth a couple of thousand each, I often think about what might happen if one went missing.

the ultimate conclusion, and the overwhelming life motto I live by is 'see a need, fill a need', and think i'd probably buy a replacement, not that I have thousands to throw around, but - I could be pushed to find some resources.

#22 ·
Ok now that you think you need two (or more) watches for travel. Which one (or ones) to take? What should you take them in? Do you keep them with you or check bags (I carry with me in carry-on)?

I travel somewhat for business and, being the über watch nerd, I take several watches with me. Fortunately I have not dropped or otherwise had an accident with one on the road (yet), but it’s nice to have backups and a bit of variation in what you wear traveling. I guess my point is this: traveling with more than one watch requires a bit of planning – if for no other reason than to secure whatever watch you are not wearing at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.