Is it bad when a brand becomes too mainstream?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Is it bad when a brand becomes too mainstream?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Is it bad when a brand becomes too mainstream?

For an example Tudor and Audemars. With Tudor and their return to the states they have been getting a lot of attention. Tudor was a brand that I didn't know/hear much about up until recently. I even seen QB Robert Griffin wearing one on an ad. And with Audemars they're almost there with Rolex when comes to people just buying them as status symbols. Plus lately it seems like they're endorsing more athletes and celebrities. So my question is it a bad or good thing for a brand to be too mainstream.

BTW didn't mean to single out Tudor and AP

Re: Is it bad when a brand becomes too mainstream?

Good for the brand,bad for the enthusiasts

I'll take Panerai as an example,been wearing it since late 2005,back then it was somewhat obscure,when I see somebody else wearing it,most likely he/she is a 'Risti

Now,I was out and about in HK for around 10-12 hrs total,browsing around in Central,Tsimtsatsui and Causeway Bay and I saw 10+ Pams..and no,I didn't count the ones in the shop...

Depends, I guess. At this writing I'd sum up my favorite mainstream brand as Tag Heuer, yet their quality seems to improve with the passing of each new model year. That's the rub for me - when the art of watchmaking gives way to sheer commerce and the quality suffers (name any TV watch brand, for instance), it's time to change brands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't see how it can be "bad".

Tudor has been around for decades by the way. And this is not their first foray into the States.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Banned

Bad for who? For the company, no not really since they sell more pieces. For the individual user, well I can be.

Every Micro wants to grow up and be Rolex or I guess some want to be PP but it might be hard to call PP mainstream. It is obviously good for the company AND I think it is good for the enthusiast in multiple potential ways. If you are a long time Paneristi for example you have far more variety and in house movements to enjoy if you prefer to stay in that camp, if you prefer to move on to a more obscure brand and "ride the wave" again then you will get far more for your collection than you would had they stayed obscure. I expect all those vintage and newer Euro only models will receive more interest in the coming years and see monetary appreciation that they wouldn't have without the return of Tudor to our shores. In the end I wouldn't be bothered since I am not a fanboy of any brand and actually have a "rule" of two per brand max, if the direction a company went branded me by extension in a way I didn't want to be seen I would dump them and move on. The only time it has happened to me was with AP, the rise of the (IMHO) gosh awful ROO caused me to stray from the brand.
    vandelsand likes this.

It's only bad because it attracts animosity to threads.

Everything is market driven, good or bad.......
    hayday likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Bad. Very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AmirAli View Post
    For an example Tudor and Audemars. With Tudor and their return to the states they have been getting a lot of attention. Tudor was a brand that I didn't know/hear much about up until recently. I even seen QB Robert Griffin wearing one on an ad. And with Audemars they're almost there with Rolex when comes to people just buying them as status symbols. Plus lately it seems like they're endorsing more athletes and celebrities. So my question is it a bad or good thing for a brand to be too mainstream.

BTW didn't mean to single out Tudor and AP

Audemars Piguet can hardly be considered a mainstream brand by any stretch of the imagination IMO. They make about 26k watches per year, while JLC and Patek make about double as many each, and they aren't exactly mainstream either. They may have been boosting their brand recognition lately, but you wouldn't call a Bugatti Veyron a mainstream car even though everyone knows what it is (yes, another comparison between watches and cars!).
    AAMC likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information